Search the forum,

Discuss Uh oh...shorted MICC. How scr*wed am I? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ooops, that potentially made the repair a whole lot more difficult!

Forget the multimeter, isolate the cable and IR test it.
thanks dave - when you say isolate, do you mean "turn the circuit off" or do you mean "find the other end of the cable and disconnect it"?

re. sniping the pot off, i'm trying to lower the socket in question so i needed to shorten the cable (fed from below).

ok thanks for this. part of the problem is that I can't be 100% sure of the routing of the circuit without pulling everything to pieces as it's all under a concrete slab. I can do an IR test between cores/earth on the open end of the problematic cable. Forgive me a basic question but my confidence has been a bit knocked on this one - do I need to find and disconnect the other end of the "damaged" cable before I test IR? The circuit isn't live but obviously the ring is broken where i cut the cable.
You really need to find the other end before doing an IR test even using a multimeter as you have been without knowing what is attached to the other end of the cable any readings are a bit meaningless
Even if you terminate the open end you will still need to access the other end of the cable to "bell out" the cores to identify which is the live core
Whereabouts in the UK are you it is possible someone experienced with Pyro may be close by and may be able to help you out or offer advice

You really need to find the other end before doing an IR test even using a multimeter as you have been without knowing what is attached to the other end of the cable any readings are a bit meaningless
Even if you terminate the open end you will still need to access the other end of the cable to "bell out" the cores to identify which is the live core
Whereabouts in the UK are you it is possible someone experienced with Pyro may be close by and may be able to help you out or offer advice
southwest

thanks dave - when you say isolate, do you mean "turn the circuit off" or do you mean "find the other end of the cable and disconnect it"?

I mean open an isolator if available or otherwise disconnect the cable, switching the circuit off does not isolate the cable.
By isolate I mean disconnect all live conductors.

re. sniping the pot off, i'm trying to lower the socket in question so i needed to shorten the cable (fed from below).

I still think it is unwise to cut it until you are ready to reterminate it.

Reply to Uh oh...shorted MICC. How scr*wed am I? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net