Discuss £330 FOR REPLACEMENT LIGHT SWITCH ON am.pm in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

thekingiam

just watching politics on tv ( it was left on that channel!) anyway cameron complaining about nhs getting charged over 300 pounds to replace light switch.
in the background a mp shouted that 300 for light switch is about right what do you think?

300 quid for a light switch nah not a chance no way i would start the van for that :rolleyes::rolleyes:

ohh go on then just this once whats the address :D

300 quid ill go anywhere in the uk to change a light switch :D

images

There again it might be to fit a new one of these

i think its great that the government is now getting stung by the prices we have to earn to pay for all the crackpot schemes they have introduced, maybe they should of checked if it was notifiable work and if so the costs asociated before complaining about the price.

Probably charged this to cover all the time spent preparing the risk assessment and all the other H&S bull the NHS would probably want for working on one of their sites lol

Last time I was down at the palace Liz and Phil did mention to me they thought their light switches were a little on the cheap side...(£1.20 screwfix)..so I took them all off and under plated them in platinum and over plated them in Gold to match the curtains.........£500 000.....thanks Liz........no problem.

Probably charged this to cover all the time spent preparing the risk assessment and all the other H&S bull the NHS would probably want for working on one of their sites lol

........... or for the time spent waiting for someone to sign the paperwork accepting the completed job.

Back in the 1970's I worked for a company that maintained the X-Ray processing machines in hospitals & I've lost count of the times I waited longer for a signature than the time it took me to do the actual job.

Most of the government institutions here require re-registration of contractors every year on their system. We have to submit paperwork for every employee who might go to site for clearance purposes, we have to submit tax clearance documents, BEE clearance documents, we have to obtain vehicle clearance for our cars and vans as well as apply for parking permits, we need to submit health and safety papers for staff and are also required to carry liability insurance to their specifications. Also we're given a list of their preferred suppliers and must purchase more that a certain percentage of our materials from the companies on that list and on top of all that we get paid anything between 30-90days after invoice (occasionally even longer). We charge up to four times our standard rates to cover the extra costs involved.

and don't forget the cost of hiring scaffold tower if the switch is above 1200mm.

Most of the government institutions here require re-registration of contractors every year on their system. We have to submit paperwork for every employee who might go to site for clearance purposes, we have to submit tax clearance documents, BEE clearance documents, we have to obtain vehicle clearance for our cars and vans as well as apply for parking permits, we need to submit health and safety papers for staff and are also required to carry liability insurance to their specifications. Also we're given a list of their preferred suppliers and must purchase more that a certain percentage of our materials from the companies on that list and on top of all that we get paid anything between 30-90days after invoice (occasionally even longer). We charge up to four times our standard rates to cover the extra costs involved.

Sounds like it, remeber when I worked in a shipyard that only did military work a MK socket would cost £2.50 normally but because it had a NATO Serial Number the price charged for it was 5 times that.

Travel to site 1hr@£30 £30
MK Grid switch £5 inc box 400% markup £20
hire of drill ,transformer and safety barrier £25 plus 200%markup £50
Bank charges for your over draught you have to pay due to time the NHS accounting service take to pay their bills £25
time to fit Inc safe isolation ,permit to work, cordoning off work area,estates
checking PAT certs,Estates checking HnS and Inducting to site,gaining permision of ward sister to do the job,moving van from patient car park to small car park away at other end of the hospital,donning protective goggles,gloves ect carrying mat and tools to job 7hrs @£25ph £175
there you go £300

Now Mr Cameron if you wanna pay cash Ill give you 10%discount if its account its£360 tyvm

Would do a light switch/socket for a Hospital or care home/fire station free of charge, other government buildings it would be £-depending how much red tape and hassle they put me through and if they messed me about for their own amusement I would add 50%....

The reason they get away this is because the hospitals are run by trusts, they build the hospitals and lease them to the NHS but all the maintenace is carried by the trust and they charge the NHS ( its how they make their money )

if the government allows private firms to build hospitals and lease them to the government then those companies are going to charge inflated maintanance costs as interest on there investments ( although i do beleive 300 pounds could of been over all costs if encountered a problem of access and time incurred etc).
this government has got to stop the bul**** political correctness crap that is costing us the tax payers,

first of all stop just any tom dick or harry coming to this country even on holiday to get their operations done for nothing this is not racism just common sense (no other country has this type of open system) and although i empithise with any one with problems abroad ,i have to say that some countries profit by not having a free health service by highly less tax paid by the peoples living there.
we are the only european country that i know of with this open door ( i might be wrong? ) if i travel abroad in europe i need to take a card with me incase of hospital treatment for a discount on the price not free what ever i want during my stay! also its common sense to travel with insurance and basicly because of our unique set up in this country i beleive all travellers into this country should have recognisable propper insurance.

Reply to £330 FOR REPLACEMENT LIGHT SWITCH ON am.pm in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net