Discuss £800 mains change in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Job yesterday customer had new db installed recently, new hager board 100a main switch all mcbs no rcds no testing done no main earth ! Took loop reading at db of 18.3ohms chap who installed db worked for british gas ! And installed it on a saturday .now got to install another db and update bonding i put a bit of 16mm earth into adjacent pme terminal got loop reading of 0.27 .what muppet forgets main earth cable!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE report this guy!!! He must have left his information with the customer, I think all British Gas installer have too! He needs to be sacked and sent back onto the bins where he belongs!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE report this guy!!! He must have left his information with the customer, I think all British Gas installer have too! He needs to be sacked and sent back onto the bins where he belongs!

I'll bet he wasn't installing under the British Gas name, I think the 'Saturday' bit was a clue, he should still be reported though, Trading Standards for a start.

seems a shame to get the guy into trouble , but in that case its nessesary(sp) might be an idea for the owner to contact him first and ask him to refund the money, or else!!
its up to the owner,--- to forget the earth tail is crazy, let alone the bonding

Keep cropping up dont they......these yul brynner types. I think british gas have a reputation to keep here though (supposedly being a blue chip company n all that lot) so they will take a VERY dim view of this....and another one bites the dust...........

seems a shame to get the guy into trouble , but in that case its nessesary(sp) might be an idea for the owner to contact him first and ask him to refund the money, or else!!
its up to the owner,--- to forget the earth tail is crazy, let alone the bonding

A shame?

No main earth

No bonding

No RCD protection

Charging £800

I'd chuck the book at him!!! (not just BS 7671:2008)

To leave a job like that I am guessing that he is no spark?
why would anyone take on a job changing a d/b without a clue to what they were doing? and then having the balls to charge £800 ????
must be a prime contender for rougue traders.

British Gas will put jobs right when they are caught, the problem is the dangerous work that is out there, that an Electrician has yet to pick them up on.

The real question is, was it an employed British Gas ECA/ELECSA guy, or was it Subbed out to ............, or was it a moonlighter?

The first question is who was the contract with to do the work? If BG then they carry the can!

If a BG employee moonlighting then inform BG, the guy is dangerous!

Reply to £800 mains change in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net