Discuss 1 ring main for whole house in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

My house had that. Not easy to split the ring so I just added new RFC for extended areas. The kitchen has its own RFC that includes the utility room. An extension got its own RFC and so forth.

Upstairs & downstairs on the same breaker, RCD protected board.

Views on this?
As bill01803 says depends on the total floor area and also what the requirements are, i.e kitchen areas (as Pat H mentioned) ideally need their own RFC as these days they tend to require many more sockets with potentially high wattage appliances.

The houses on our estate were built in the 70s with only one ring final.

You're more likely to hit problems with cumulative earth leakage when rcds are fitted than with actual overload. As said above, not good design if it's recent.

25 years old I would guess, went around and had a look the other day as customer wanted a rewire quote, just thought it was a bit strange.

How is normal 2 bed but has had the garage converted into a dining room (extended ring to suite I think) also had a loft conversion too but without further investigation I would only be guessing.

Mine is 1970s one ring final in a three bed house. R2 continuity is sky high because of 1.0 cpcs.

My brother's old place was awful. Good size 3 bed semi, one ring for all sockets, upstairs sockets on the ring, every downstairs socket was a spur dropped from a JB above.

25 years old I would guess, went around and had a look the other day as customer wanted a rewire quote, just thought it was a bit strange.

How is normal 2 bed but has had the garage converted into a dining room (extended ring to suite I think) also had a loft conversion too but without further investigation I would only be guessing.

I have seen plenty of 2up 2 downs with only 3 circuits. Sockets, lights, cooker.

It was quite common practice years ago to have one ring for the whole house, especially in a smaller property.
Another common thing was an upstairs ring & downstairs sockets as Spurs or vice / versa.

My brother's old place was awful. Good size 3 bed semi, one ring for all sockets, upstairs sockets on the ring, every downstairs socket was a spur dropped from a JB above.
Mine is a ring final apart from a spurred multiple outlet in the kitchen which I will sort when the kitchen is changed, mind you be saying this for the last 12 years. I have added to it and my R2 measures 2.20 ohms.

Reply to 1 ring main for whole house in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock