Discuss 100mA RCD Incomming NOT TT but PME in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Chrishands

Hi as the title suggests,

I know of a Fuse Board, that has a 100mA RCD incoming However its not a TT system its a PME system, I've only been in the trade 2 years now so im still green, did it used to be the case that 100mA was the standard instead of 30mA protection for Domestic Dwellings?

Thanks,
Chris

I know of a Fuse Board, that has a 100mA RCD incoming However its not a TT system its a PME system, I've only been in the trade 2 years now so im still green, did it used to be the case that 100mA was the standard instead of 30mA protection for Domestic Dwellings?

Thanks,
Chris

No. A 100ma RCD offers no additional protection. it has probably been converted to PME as Jackhammer mentioned.

probably because pme was not available at the time.

Would it have been installed to protect meter tails that are chased in and < 50mm deep?

**EDIT** This is a wild guess by the way, I don't work to BS standards so I'm not very familiar with them.

Last edited:
Would it have been installed to protect meter tails that are chased in and < 50mm deep?

**EDIT** This is a wild guess by the way, I don't work to BS standards so I'm not very familiar with them.

Nope, that's a very recent addition to the regs and only allows 30mA protection to be used for this

I Thought so, but why? why notjust PME in the 1st place?

A lot of places had TT systems until the old overheads were replaced then PME was installed but obviously all the installations remained the same.
Or it's possible that someone didn't know what they were doing, didn't understand or thought that replacing a 30mA with a 100mA was a good way to cure nuisance tripping

Having a look around can often reveal an old copper twig sticking out the ground some where.
Although its possible for those earthing arrangements to be tagged off old lead water pipes.
Looks of horror these days, but our parents and grandparents managed to survive such ordeals all there lives and through to old age with no ill affects.
Regulations change and don't we know it, but remember our senior citizens were more concerned with German bombers rather than dodgy electrics. :)

I know of a Fuse Board, that has a 100mA RCD incoming However its not a TT system its a PME system, I've only been in the trade 2 years now so im still green, did it used to be the case that 100mA was the standard instead of 30mA protection for Domestic
Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris , what type of property is it in ?

I have known on instances where a DNO will install a 100mA RCD (which then becomes the property of the consumer), where installations are very close to sub stations and have very high PFC and PSSC.

I have known on instances where a DNO will install a 100mA RCD (which then becomes the property of the consumer), where installations are very close to sub stations and have very high PFC and PSSC.
I have had that that happen at least twice that I can remember .

Probably a "short" answer would clarify why an rcd would not work as would be suggested here.:lol:

Which DNO? I've read a lot of ukpns new service design paperwork and never yet come across this.
Also I can't see what the advantage could be for a high pscc? An RCD would not do anything except perhaps melt under excessively high short circuit current

Haveing re-read Spins post and actually paid attention this time , I thought he had mentioned that it was because of a high Ze which was the reason why it had been done for the ones I have seen .

Reply to 100mA RCD Incomming NOT TT but PME in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock