Discuss 107 or 117 core drill size in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i generally let the builder core the hole, then take a can of expanding foam with me.

It depends on the fan fitting kit and the wall structure. In a cavity wall with a large 75-100mm cavity you may have trouble lining up and fitting fan and grill flat to the wall on a 107 mm hole and a thick inner sleeve. Usually 117 mm and a good can of foam will allow flush fitting of both fan and vent. Some kits specify 117 mm holes for extractors and some even specify 150 mm +. if you do decide to drill yourself with core drill be prepared for lots of dust!! I usually use an extraction unit and an apprentice to shadow Vacuum whilst drilling, otherwise it gets everywhere and is very fine making it difficult to clean up. Also one of my electrician using a quality hired and serviced clutch drill and core recently broke his thumb when the core snagged and he didn't have a good grip on it (HSE INVESTIGATING!!!)

you`v to watch it though with 117 cores....you need to leave enough meat in the brick so you can plug n screw the vent to the outside wall....if the hole`s to big...you risk breaking into it when drilling 5.5 for red plugs...

when i was doing bathrooms upgrades for 8 months as all ihad to do was connect and wire a shower and a run on fan, i had to drill my own hole for the fan. I wasnt long out my time so still pretty nervous working and i was working for an agency on hire to the council for the first 2 weeks i had a nightmare coreing the 4" hole, the gun kept jamming and nearly breaking my wrist and jaw, i was for jacking it in then the other spark from 1 of the squads told me to drill the hole on hammer setting felt like a total tube but then easy days never found the dust that bad the worst thing i would sometime have slight step between the 2 walls inner-cavity-outer, because i would take the pilot drill and just start the second by resting the corer on the first hole

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to do 117, but then I brought a 107 and realised it goes through a lot quicker (less cutting) never had any problems with it. And you don't need that expanding foam; which I hate. I 'd rather seal round with grip fill - at least your in control of it. The foam goes everywhere!

when i was doing bathrooms upgrades for 8 months as all ihad to do was connect and wire a shire and a run on fan i had to drill my own hole for it wasnt long out my time so still pretty nervous working for agency for the council for the first 2 weeks i had a nightmare coreing 4" gun was jamming and nearly breaking wrist and jaw i was for jacking it in then the other spark from 1 of the hole on hammer setting felt like a total tube but then easy days never found the dust that bad the worst thing i would sometime have slight step between the 2 walls inner cavity the outer because i bacuse i would take the pilot drill and just start the second by resting the corer on the first hole

can you not try and write in better English? trying to read that gave me a headache, and i still don't understand it.

can you not try and write in better English? trying to read that gave me a headache, and i still don't understand it.

I'll translate for you!!

When i was doing bathrooms upgrades for 8 months, all I had to do was connect and wire a switch and a run on fan. I had to drill my own holes and I had a nightmare coring 4" gun was jamming and nearly breaking wrist. this was because I didn't invest in the correct drill. I then tried drilling from the outside and the inside, to reduce the dust, but sometimes had a slight step between the 2 holes.

And the stats say that English GCSE's results are improving.

LOL

Read more: http://www.electriciansforums.net/e...48-107-117-core-drill-size.html#ixzz2AFItbHpU

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on the fan fitting kit and the wall structure. In a cavity wall with a large 75-100mm cavity you may have trouble lining up and fitting fan and grill flat to the wall on a 107 mm hole and a thick inner sleeve. Usually 117 mm and a good can of foam will allow flush fitting of both fan and vent. Some kits specify 117 mm holes for extractors and some even specify 150 mm +. if you do decide to drill yourself with core drill be prepared for lots of dust!! I usually use an extraction unit and an apprentice to shadow Vacuum whilst drilling, otherwise it gets everywhere and is very fine making it difficult to clean up. Also one of my electrician using a quality hired and serviced clutch drill and core recently broke his thumb when the core snagged and he didn't have a good grip on it (HSE INVESTIGATING!!!)

I tried THIS, still cant understand him.

Reply to 107 or 117 core drill size in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net