Discuss 110v Site Tx. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
bought a 1KVA tranny from car boot @ weekend. bargain @ £8. reason was to have a lightweight one on the van instaed of lugging my 3.3KVA unit about. anyway, gets it home, plugs it in.. no output. so, top off to find that some donut had fitted in-line fuses to bot L and N into the primary. one of them was blown. now my thoughts are

1. why fuse the N?

2. why fuse the L as the thing is protected by the 1362 in the plug?

anyway, fuses removed and it now works fine with a 5A fuse in the plug-top. might have to replace with a 7A or 10A if inrush causes problems.

I got one last week but feel bloody stupid taking it on jobs with me.

images.jpg

1. Sounds like an error. I've seen them fused in both sides of the secondary (obviously because it's CT-E so either no fuses or two fuses on that side. So perhaps that is what they meant to do but the fuseholders got put in the primary instead?

2. Because inrush might require too large a fuse in the plug to offer any protection against overload. E.g. if they found 5A plug fuse (which is fast) sometimes blows, they could put a 13A fuse there to protect against shorts and 5A slow-blow inside to protect against overload. Also because might be connected to 16A plug? Also because of 1. above?

all 230 mains powered for me, will be years ago since i been on a site with proper h&s nightmare.
fusing arrangement is what you would expect from a builder monkey who used that in the past...

my intention is to fuse the secondary side with a 13A in each leg.

fair point. only going to be used for drills etc. and not for extended times.

Reply to 110v Site Tx. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock