Discuss 12V Dual Pole Relay connections... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

albertc30

Hi all.

I have just received a 12V 2 pole 2NO and 2NC and there's no instructions on how to connect it to the power.

Normally being a coil negative swapped with positive would make no difference however, this has an LED light and a resister.

I am thinking the 12V life wire should before the resistance?

Any help much appreciated.

Thank you.

Albert

12v DC?.... positive and negative are terms associated with dc can you confirm this?

What is the relays function in the circuit?

Has the LED got a driver with it if AC supply?.... Your post is very vague at best and alot of assumptions need to be made to answer it, please give more details about what you want the retail to do, what operates it and any other info you haven't divulged.

Do you have the manufacturer's name and part number for this relay?

Hi all.

Apologis as I am new to this relay thing.

This relay is to power a 12V DC submersion water pump.

It will work with 1 top water lever floating switch which will pass 12V DC to one of the poles with will also be connected to the coil input.

The second floating switch, connected in series with the first one, with activate pump once lower water limit level has been reached.

Once this lower lever is above and cuts out the power to the pump, it will carry on working due to being energized with power coming from the one pole which has been energized previously, so it should continue being energized.

Once the 1st floating switch cuts out it will then cut the supply to that set of pole connection on the relay, cutting it's source of power altogether.

The relay switch is an OMRAN LY2N-J. Again, I apologize since I din't even looked on GOOGLE about this particular model. Always on google and even googled if polarity could be reversed.

I am only worried since there is a resister on the input side of the coil connected to an LED which connects to the other end of the coil, negative? I don't know.

I am wondering is this resister here to limit the amount of voltage being feed to the LED?

Many thanks in advance.

Albert

Yes, the resistor is a current-limiter for the LED. And yes, polarity matters for the LED, although as you say, not actually for the coil. Daz

Yes, the resistor is a current-limiter for the LED. And yes, polarity matters for the LED, although as you say, not actually for the coil. Daz

I can now say that after close look the LED and resister are connected in parallel with the coil.

Thanks for all the help.

Wow. This is way too technical.

I am looking at page 9 and can't find my particular model.

2nd picture down DC model seems the close one to mine. However, I am in doubt as it says positive on pin 8. Well pin 8 is before the led and the resister. I really thought positive side would be on pin 7 which feeds the resister which in turn is connected to the LED.

Sorry for my ignorance.

Have you bought the connection base to go with the relay.....usually the base comes with diagram, and the pins are printed on the side of the relay..

The picture on the ebay site shows that the coil has 12V dc written all over it, however the main picture does show the ac diagram on the relay cover.
The datasheet on the relays posted by Rob2 shows the pin out diagram and the wiring arrangement that should be fairly clear cut.
LY2N.jpg
The position of the resistor should be immaterial for the circuit, but the pin 8 positive matches with the diagram.
The easiest way to find out would be to connect a 12V supply and see if the LED lights up!

The picture on the ebay site shows that the coil has 12V dc written all over it, however the main picture does show the ac diagram on the relay cover.
The datasheet on the relays posted by Rob2 shows the pin out diagram and the wiring arrangement that should be fairly clear cut.
View attachment 26338
The position of the resistor should be immaterial for the circuit, but the pin 8 positive matches with the diagram.
The easiest way to find out would be to connect a 12V supply and see if the LED lights up!

Hi Richard Burns.

I don't mean to be disrespectful mate, and yes, I agree with you. The pin layout is pretty straight forward.

My only worry is the positive and negative side on the power source to energize the coil.

You say the position of the resister is immaterial so I ask why is there a resister? This is what lead me to believe that polarity here, in this case, will matter.

I don't want to blow this little gem up as it cost me £8.00 and money is a little short at the moment with college starting and a little family to support.

However, I have used a 9V battery and have tested the relay. Assuming I am correct in giving the positive side of the power to the pin before the resister, all works fine with the exception of the LED, which only operates "blinks once" when the coil is de-energized. Could this be back EMF?

Could it be that the LED does not lit up due to the only 9V supply? If I plug it the other way, the positive to the side of the LED, I get a static green light once coil has been energised. If this is the correct way then I am forced to question what is the resister doing there?

I apologize as I am new to this hence being here and looking for help.

Thank to all you guys/girls out there given some of your indisputably valuable time to helping others who are less knowledgeable, like myself.

Regards,
Albert

And led has a forward working voltage of aprox 2.5v, the resistor is there to limit the current, hence allow it to work on 12v dc.
If you connect 9v correctly, the led will lite, and the coil energise

And led has a forward working voltage of aprox 2.5v, the resistor is there to limit the current, hence allow it to work on 12v dc.
If you connect 9v correctly, the led will lite, and the coil energise

But that's the thing tazz.

If I place the positive side on the pin that feeds the resister, the LED does not lit up. It only lites up "flashes once ON/OFF" when the coil is turned off.

The way I had the LED constantly on, when coil energized, was when I had the positive side connected on the pin that connects to the LED first, therefore getting 9V straight in.

It switches off when coil is switched off.

In short;

LED is ON when coil is energized with positive side of power directly connected to PIN that feed the LED.

LED in OFF when coil is energized with positive side of power directly connected to PIN that feeds the resister. However, the LED does flashes once ON/OFF when power to the coil is switched off.

Apologies to all and many thanks for the help.

Regards,
Albert

The resistor can be used on either positive or negative, as it will limited the current to the anode or from the cathode, as long as it is in series with the led it makes no different.

The resistor can be used on either positive or negative, as it will limited the current to the anode or from the cathode, as long as it is in series with the led it makes no different.

Hi tazz.

Many thanks for your time and patience mate.

I am even more confused now.

I was thinking of this as resistances reduce the amount of current flow and current flows from positive the negative as that, I was thinking that if the resister was there to limit the amount of current to the LED surely the positive must be before the resister.

Sorry tazz, and I can't express enough how much of a great help you have been mate.

Apologies for my ignorance.

Regards,
Albert

Reply to 12V Dual Pole Relay connections... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net