Discuss 13 Amp 240V socket installation in disabled toilet in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
We are taking over a building after commissioning and I found this install of which a macerator is plugged in to. I wouldn’t install this way and the glands and metal clad covers are not even fitted properly so the IP rating is non-existent. I have to tackle them on the install but looking through the regs I can't find any info. I know that Zone 2 for basin is above it but nothing for below.
Just looking for some advice as surely this can't be good practice.
230V outlet.jpg

Zones only apply in special locations.

I'm presuming there isn't a bath or a shower in there.

Either way a sink has no zone unless it's in one due its location.

Last edited:
As above. But any installation must take into account the environment in which it is to be fitted. For me, looking at the photo I would say not ideal and change for an IP65 rated socket.

Thanks for the feedback good to know. I will go back and just challenge on the install quality then. There is no shower or bath fitted.

Having worked in the food industry on production lines we would hard wired the appliance and fit IP65 in wet areas as already mentioned.

That conduit is appalling looks awful. Should of ran it in black plastic. Could you not chop back into the corner then have the flexes trailing to the sink in some zip tie anchors. Just a thought.

That conduit is appalling looks awful. Should of ran it in black plastic. Could you not chop back into the corner then have the flexes trailing to the sink in some zip tie anchors. Just a thought.

So what would you use if the spec said Galv conduit?

you can still return it as long as you haven't caused the fail and they will have to fix/replace it in the first year

It can work against you. Customer of mine had extractor hood motor control fail within 3 months. As plug had been cut (I cut it and hardwired to existing flex out fed by 3A FCU above worktop). Manufacturer said it had been interfered with and warranty was void.

It can work against you. Customer of mine had extractor hood motor control fail within 3 months. As plug had been cut (I cut it and hardwired to existing flex out fed by 3A FCU above worktop). Manufacturer said it had been interfered with and warranty was void.

Had this one with one of my mates houses, manufacturers service man tried to use the void warranty bit when they came to fix a cooker hood this was because he couldn't safely isolate it by removing the plug from the socket as instructed by his company happened to be there when he appeared so I disconnected it and put a temporary plug on it while he fixed it. This is not the only occasion I have had this but highlights how a H&S issue is being used to refuse service or repair of an item wired and connected in a recognised way and giving the customer the customer no options on a no cost repair

Reply to 13 Amp 240V socket installation in disabled toilet in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net