Discuss 1361 Board, RCBO needed (25 chars.) in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hightower

Dad has an old 1361 cartridge fuse CU, 16th edition so lights etc aren't RCD protected. It's Wylex, but I couldn't tell you the model.

Gonna be changing some lights in the bathroom from batten to downlights, 701.411.3.3 says I need RCD protection. I've told my Dad it's probably easier and better for him to get a new board (me doing it, it's only gonna cost him materials), but I wondered if it was possible to get an RCBO to retrofit to this board - anybody know?

Thanks,

Cheaper and better in the long run, to swap to a RCBO board.

How many circuits and I'm guessing you won't charge dad for your time?

No it's not that type, it's a typical 16th edition plastic CU with 1361 holders instead of MCBs, house was built around 2000 (my understanding is 1361 boards were very common on new builds in 2000 and 2001, must have been a dodgy deal gone on somewhere).

Do the 1361 modules unscrew from the busbar.

Haven't had the cover off yet, but they look like this so I'm guessing they slot in to the rail like you would expect an MCB to.

s-l1000.jpg

Why?

A 10 way populated AMD3 board with 8 RCBO's is about £120.00 - a far better solution now and in the future when a fault occurs.......
Is it? When I put RCBOs in mine it was closer (I think above) the £200 mark, and that was using a budget brand.

Just checked SBS prices (which I think are really reasonable) and that's £180 for 10-way, 8 RCBOs, VAT included.

Yeah just been looking through an old Wylex catalogue and it shows the 1361 modular units you have in your pic, NSB range. A new NHX rcbo should fit but as they are compatible with NSB but it might be tight in the board.

I believe BG are the cheapest in terms of rcbos(around the £15 mark per CB) not sure on prices of an unpolulated board but it's £120 for the Circuit breakers alone. Id imagine the board would be £100?

Could you not fit an rcd board before the main board thus protecting all circuits on an rcd. Not ideal if there is a fault.

borrow a wylex RCBO from local wholesaler. try it for fit. if no fit, return to supplier.

Reply to 1361 Board, RCBO needed (25 chars.) in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net