Discuss 16mm twin &earth sub mains separate earth in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I could not remember the formula fault current if = v/s =I2t/k.
has for the kmf switch fuse a bit small for the tails I think.
plus it is the size of the space to work in, old utility box.

It's printed in your regs book, no need to memorise it!

They are designed for exactly this purpose, they fit perfectly well in one quarter of a standard meter box and they are designed for 25mm tails so will not be a problem getting your 16mm tails in!
How come it's going in the old box? Wouldn't it be in the new box at the new meter position?

just looked at current time 63 amp in yell not 60amp why do the iee keep changing them
most common houses have rated 60 amp, went to one the other day. dno put in smart meter .
just found 60amp in regs 2008.

the idea to move the new consumer unit WITH NEW SUB MAINS
A NO ROOM AT THE INN.
B CUSTOMER WILL NOT HAVE A NEW CONSUMER STICKING ABOVE OLD UTILATY BOX,
C DNO DOES NOT LIKE ANY THING ON THIER BOARD .

the idea to move the new consumer unit WITH NEW SUB MAINS
A NO ROOM AT THE INN.
B CUSTOMER WILL NOT HAVE A NEW CONSUMER STICKING OUT ABOVE OLD UTILATY BOX, OR ABOVE IT.
C DNO DOES NOT LIKE ANY THING ON THIER BOARD .

Where is this meter box if the consumer unit would stick out above it? Is it internal?
It's not a mantel cabinet with a skeleton board by any chance is it?

The bottom right hand quarter of the board in a meter box is reserved for the customers switch-fuse as per DNO information. And thus we have the KMF switchfuse which nearly fits in this space!

I have practically got most of the regs books .it like going back to dawn of time.
still the same sh***t .meet a guy on holiday, when the regs first come out no formulas.
he had to tell them how to do it .

Late coming in on this few questions,
How are you planning on running the submain (16mm Twin & Earth) within the domestic property?
• Is it surface?
• Is it RCD protected
• If bonds are coming from new submain you would be required to run separate earth back to origin or MET and size stated via table or equation as previously mentioned.
Before you cut seal remember to inform them or if you MOCOPA approved then never mind

If it's TNS the 6mm CPC could be adequate for bonding as well but would be prudent to install a separate 10mm in case the earthing arrangement is ever changed. If the bonding is connected to the MET rather than the EMT in the board then all you've got to worry about is the CSA of the CPC being adequate for Earthing. This can be confirmed by carrying out the adiabatic equation of which you are well aware of....I would bet it is :)

I'm going to sound really thick now but how is the circuit protective conductor of the Twin & Earth good enough for the bond aswell? Just like to know as some point this year I'm going sit 2395
other than that totally agree with the separate 10mm.

Tbh depending on area the UK power NETWORKS on every new joint makes them PME now. Got taught it on a G78 course.
So mostly likely if they attend it will be PME.
So I agree with leesparkykent and run a 10mm separate earth.

Reply to 16mm twin &earth sub mains separate earth in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock