Discuss 16th edition flat RCD? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello guys

i have done an EICR on a 16th edition domestic installation so the usual singles PVC are in steel conduit and only RCD protection for the shower. I understand that all sockets below 20a are now required to have RCD protection currently however....

16th edition from what I understand only required RCD protection for sockets liable to be used outside and in wet locations?

so would saying that on a 1st floor flat it would be safe just to code 2 the sockets by the front and rear balcony and also the single socket near the sink? all other sockets will just be code 3?

this will be an NIC visit job because its a handy one to my home address so just wanted to get my ducks in order, i also think it might be a good to use older installs as NIC visits because you can highlight more issues whilst being sympathetic to older wiring editions?

I would think C2 if the socket can be used outside etc, and C3 for other sockets - not sure a first floor flat is going to use sockets outside. Also, can you show an EICR job to NICEIC for assessment? I thought it had to be installations?

I would think C2 if the socket can be used outside etc, and C3 for other sockets - not sure a first floor flat is going to use sockets outside. Also, can you show an EICR job to NICEIC for assessment? I thought it had to be installations?

Hello hightower
For your nic visit as per info I have got from the organisation is
X1 EICR
X2 installations

Have to say I've pondered over this type of scenario, and now Code 3 sockets with no rcd/rcbo protection if first floor or above (with a strong recommendation for upgrade if the property is let/going to be let).

You state the usual PVC singles in steel conduit, I would say this is highly unusual for a domestic installation. How old is this installation, you say 16th Edition but what does that mean.

There was and still is no requirement for RCD protection for sockets in a wet area.
The 16th required RCD protection for sockets which would reasonably be expected to supply portable equipment outdoors.
Unless the first floor flat has it's own garden, or there is a parking space in close proximity, where would be no reason to expect any socket to be used to supply portable equipment outdoors.

I suspect the installation precedes the age of the current CU, although not impossible it is not likely singles in steel conduit would have been used in the last 35 years for a domestic.

Reply to 16th edition flat RCD? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net