Discuss 16th or 17th in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparkies2306

Hi there guys

Can anyone tell me what changes there are from the 16th edition to the 17th i was told there were only a few
but was also told that a tester a kewtech multitester which i only purchassed recently wasnt going to be any good as it needs to be 17th edition capable

Any help appreciated

all I have been able to find out so far is that there are changes to the bonding and that the bathroom light will need to be placed on RCD side of split load board and on its own circuit.

I`ve heard their going to allow sockets in bathrooms, providing their outside the zones, and on an RCD. ...crazy! Also cables in domestics will have to be in metal conduit chase 50mm into the wall...? this is to allow the EU ...workers in

I`ve heard their going to allow sockets in bathrooms, providing their outside the zones, and on an RCD. ...crazy! Also cables in domestics will have to be in metal conduit chase 50mm into the wall...? this is to allow the EU ...workers in

Socket in bathrooms ; yes at a distance of 3meters horizontaly from the boundary of zone 1 & on a 30mA rcd (but then every circuit in the bathroom will have to be on a 30mA rcd any way (that'll be lights spured of ring via a 30mA fused spur on bathroom refits).
Zone 3 will be gone & supplimentary bonding not required so long as mainbonding is in accordance with part 41.

Cables in metal conduit; Cables in a chase less than 50mm deep will need 30mA rcd, cable still must be in safe zones. No mention of earthed metal conduit unless outside of a safe zone I would think.

All the info you want is here

http://www.niceic.org.uk/17thedition/nroot/niceic/17thedition/MajorChanges2.pdf

There are also extra special location sections included in the 17th edition, namely marinas and camper vans, as well as exhibitions. The layout is going to change so that inspection and testing is now section 6, and special locations or installations is section 7.

The zoning is changing not necessarily to allow sockets in bathrooms, but to allow classifcation of rooms differently, ie a bedroom with a bath in it etc, so a socket will be allowed in a bathroom, if it is a large bathroom, and far enough away from any water.. The zoning is also changing underneath a bath, which will allow some equipment to be put under the bath, as long as the bath panel is not removable by hand!

I attended a free NIC seminar at Sandown Yesterday, It is worth buying shares in any company that manufactures RCD's!!

Reply to 16th or 17th in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock