Discuss 17 day domestic instalation too good to be true ?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dougij

I have no experience as an electrician but a coleuge has advised me of a domestic instalation and inspection course, this course lasts seventeen days and allows you to register with nic when completed. I know most electricians train for a couple of years. What are the oppotunities available to someone with this qualification ? would anyone even look at me for employment ? the course components are

inspection and testing c&g 2392-10

part p

17th edition

5 day installation workshop

be prepared for some full on assault ha ha
well it dont make you a spark but technically you can apply for niceic domestic installer yes

If you believe that most electricians are trained in that manner, and that you could then compete with a large and skilled workforce that has many unemployed among its ranks, and you have the money, then go for it :)

Electrical employment opportunities are few, and its not a bed of roses whatever you decide

what is difficult to believe? the price? or timeframe
i did my 17th in one day ! its just an online exam means very little to be honest, the course's you have listed are just short courses that compliment the time and experiance of an electrician usually along with 2360 or 2330 or whatever its called these days

anyway good luck if you choose to do it

If your thinking of self employment then its hit and miss as some do well and some struggle to find work ! its down to how/what advertising you do and eg if you know someone who will give you work and contracts etc or if you want to be employed on domestics some companies will take you on but most will want a 2391-10 test/inspection as the 2392-10 is the Fundamental Inspection, Testing and Initial Verification so no good for the periodic inspections they may want you to do as part of your job work load but what you will find if you do this course is when your qualified and say eg NICEIC your start learning when your out there in the real world and the worst thing you can do is be stuck on a fault at a customers house and struggle to find/fix it so id advise IMO you would be better if doing this course to try and get some time spent even as a free hand with a spark/domestic installer etc to get some experience in ! your be glad of it when your out on your own.

is a DI not sometimes a real spark then ? there was me thinking i was qualified and also registered as a DI ,

i dont quite understand what you mean. i hope you didnt take offence to what i said, it was not meant in that way saying that a domestic installer is not "as good" as an electrician or anything like that.

i dont quite understand what you mean. i hope you didnt take offence to what i said, it was not meant in that way saying that a domestic installer is not "as good" as an electrician or anything like that.

are the two always different? some people are fully qualified and time served as well as registered with a scheme because part of their work includes domestic stuff..
no offence taken btw

are the two always different? some people are fully qualified and time served as well as registered with a scheme because part of their work includes domestic stuff..
no offence taken btw

as far as im aware (first time i heard the term domestic installer was from this forum) a domestic installer is someone who has done a short course/ crash course and they are classed as that. an electrician is time served. at least thats the way i see it. i hope someone can correct if i am mistaken :)

as to answer the OP, i think you need to be careful as once you have the qualifications theres no guarantee of a job and that £2200 could have been spent for nothing. good luck if you go for it and let us know how you get on!

as far as im aware (first time i heard the term domestic installer was from this forum) a domestic installer is someone who has done a short course/ crash course and they are classed as that. an electrician is time served. at least thats the way i see it. i hope someone can correct if i am mistaken :)

as to answer the OP, i think you need to be careful as once you have the qualifications theres no guarantee of a job and that £2200 could have been spent for nothing. good luck if you go for it and let us know how you get on!

DI just means reg with a part p scheme , you could be the dogs dangly bits and be a DI or be a 5 day wonder and be a DI

Hi mate, I can give you the benefit of my experience on a similar sounding course. However, i had one advantage, 20+ years electrical experience on aircraft electrics. I did a two week installation course, one weeks 17th edn and a further week of inspect and test. It has to be said that with my previous experience i found the practical side a bit of a breeze, fault finding not a problem at all and the inspect and test was pretty much what i have been doing for all those years. However. I found converting all my prior experience into the 17th edn and the other rules and regs VERY hard to manage, the courses are so compact, that I had to study 5 or more hours extra each night just to convert what i already knew into the domestic field. (Different terminology etc). There were others on the course who had very little or no electrical experience who fell along the wayside as we went along. My point is, do some research before you commit a LOT of money that you will not get back, before you decide. Buy a copy of the 17th edn maybe and see what might make sense to you. Buy a basic electrics book, online guides and just see if you can learn a bit before you commit. Try before you buy so to speak. You could perhaps even try for a bit of work experience.

Whatever you decide, good luck to you, just make sure you are sure you know what you are in for before you spend a lot of money.

Hi mate, I can give you the benefit of my experience on a similar sounding course. However, i had one advantage, 20+ years electrical experience on aircraft electrics. I did a two week installation course, one weeks 17th edn and a further week of inspect and test. It has to be said that with my previous experience i found the practical side a bit of a breeze, fault finding not a problem at all and the inspect and test was pretty much what i have been doing for all those years. However. I found converting all my prior experience into the 17th edn and the other rules and regs VERY hard to manage, the courses are so compact, that I had to study 5 or more hours extra each night just to convert what i already knew into the domestic field. (Different terminology etc). There were others on the course who had very little or no electrical experience who fell along the wayside as we went along. My point is, do some research before you commit a LOT of money that you will not get back, before you decide. Buy a copy of the 17th edn maybe and see what might make sense to you. Buy a basic electrics book, online guides and just see if you can learn a bit before you commit. Try before you buy so to speak. You could perhaps even try for a bit of work experience.

Whatever you decide, good luck to you, just make sure you are sure you know what you are in for before you spend a lot of money.

This post should be a sticky all by itself IMO, brilliant.

so the question then is how do you seperate someone who has done a short course to someone who is time served? lol

well by merit , looking at there quals , looking at there work etc etc not with a badge or name , thats rather silly dont you think.
person A )20 years on the tools 2360 , 16th , 17th , 2391, registered with a scheeme so a DI
person B) short course no experiance , 17th , 2392 registered with a scheeme
are they the same?

Reply to 17 day domestic instalation too good to be true ?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net