Discuss 17 yr old Looking for best college to do lvl 2 electrical installations in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

bozy09

-
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm 17 years old and I recently left sixth form to persue my dream career as an electrician but I have one single problem- I have no idea which college I should go to. I have looked at 3 colleges; college of north west london, City of Westminster College, Barnet Southgate college colindale.

college of north west london seems very unorganised they made me wait for 50 minutes for my interview (I came in 10 minutes early so if I inlcude that they made me wait an hour) and the building seemed rundown/messy. what I took from the interview is that the teachers there are good but I'm assuming the college in underfunded seeing as how the management is terrible and as is the state of the building itself. They said I needed to attend 2/3 days a week from 9-3:30. they said their passrate was 87%.

City of Westminster college seemed fantastic, the facilites are amazing however when I talked with the teacher he seemed like he didn't want to be there and wasn't very helpful. He also left earlier than he was supposed to and he is the only electrical installations there so its not like Ill have another teacher. they said I needed to attend mon-fri from 9-5:30 throughout the year. they said their passrate was 68%.

Barnet Southgate colindale seemed fantastic in all aspects, the building is new and the teachers seemed very enthusiastic. My only gripe is that I got the impression that the college is more centred around bricklaying/plumbing because in the taster day I didn't get to see the electrical installations classroom and most people that I met were bricklayers (I did see directions towards the electrical installtions classroom but I don't think I was allowed to leave the group to just roam the college on my own). I forgot how many days a week i needed to be there. I also didnt get information on their passrate.

The thing is I don't care so much for the passrate because I'm confident in my abilities and I am willing to put in as much work as I can so I'm sure that no matter where I go I will get the qualification its just that I would like to go somewhere that has a good teacher/teachers and that the facilites won't hinder me. Also I would like to do 2 courses at the same time, something like electrical installations level 2 and gas installation level 2/3 all in the same year if that's possible.

A bit about myself:
I got 10 GCSEs (6Bs - including maths and english / 4Cs)
I was in college doing maths chemistry physics psychology and turkish but I left after deciding I wanted to be an electrician.

I have no idea which school i should go to so I wanted to reach out to the qualified/ experienced electricians to give me advice on where to go. I don't want to make the wrong choice and spend a whole year regretting my decision so please help me. Nor do I want to take a year doing electrical installations then a year in gas installations if there is the option to do both in the same year. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums :)

Can I say what a refreshing change to see a young person who can write well, is clearly motivated and doesn't expect everything handed to them on a plate. I know this is a bad generalisation, but it is based on a lot of the young people I've come into contact with.

I can't advise as I'm somewhat too far away, but I wish you every success. Keep this kind of attitude up and I'm sure you'll be a credit to who ever you end up working for. If you were near me and I could afford it, I'd snap you up.

Good luck :)

Welcome to the forums :)

Can I say what a refreshing change to see a young person who can write well, is clearly motivated and doesn't expect everything handed to them on a plate. I know this is a bad generalisation, but it is based on a lot of the young people I've come into contact with.

I can't advise as I'm somewhat too far away, but I wish you every success. Keep this kind of attitude up and I'm sure you'll be a credit to who ever you end up working for. If you were near me and I could afford it, I'd snap you up.

Good luck :)

Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words!

I'm far away too , my son had similar great start , then found a few
" Don't want to be here - lecturers a bit of a turn off "
Almost as if , a smaller class will be easier !

Reply to 17 yr old Looking for best college to do lvl 2 electrical installations in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock