Search the forum,

Discuss 17th edition Split board issues. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes i haven't took into consideration that they can give false readings have i, thanks Des. Should have disconnected them. I did have it set on 250v from the previous lighting testing hopefully haven't buggered the detectors, thats all i need now!

You might have wanted to have dropped those heads out mate, you say outside lighting is on the circuit that keeps tripping? Have a look around these, had one the other day where guttering had been over flowing and filled the terminal box up wit water, customer failed to mention that they had had gutters repaired cos of this= me walking round testing for 2hrs to find the fault

You might have wanted to have dropped those heads out mate, you say outside lighting is on the circuit that keeps tripping? Have a look around these, had one the other day where guttering had been over flowing and filled the terminal box up wit water, customer failed to mention that they had had gutters repaired cos of this= me walking round testing for 2hrs to find the fault

Cheers Dan, like i say those are the point's i want to concentrate on, there's 3 lights outside the back garden, they even have their own trunking run, will give it a gander tomorrow. How will i know if those detectors are fried now? :(

Cheers Dan, like i say those are the point's i want to concentrate on, there's 3 lights outside the back garden, they even have their own trunking run, will give it a gander tomorrow. How will i know if those detectors are fried now? :(

Try the test button and see what happens!

Buy a can of smoke
Read my own post and it sounds sarcastic

Buy a can of smoke alarm test spray for the suspect alarms
icon14.png

Last edited:
So you reckon the detectors will have had it then?

I’ve a confession to make here.

Years ago I wasn’t happy with some smoke detectors fitted in an office block (neither was anyone else, nearly everyone in the offices smoked then).

I tested them at 1000V. No trouble after that. Lighting circuit was OK, but RIP the smokes. They never did get replaced, one was in my office so I had a bit of a vested interest!

You should be fine on 250v. I always run a 250 first just incase there is something that you have not been informed of or something you have missed. Just the other day I missed a neon on the cooker radial somehow but on another instance there was an additional floor to a property that I was not informed about lol Access was behind what looked like an airing cupboard door lol

Smoke detectors were both intact ok. Ran IR tests on cct with heads dropped out and gave me healthy reading. Re-installed and tested both working ok with interconnections making other beep in fault mode as norm.

However they've never been changed since original install and both need replacing as they're past their sell by date of 2005!
So next saturday i will fit 2 new smokes and a new light fitting for the on suite.

Still haven't located the fault on the upstairs lights. The outside lights are fed via the downstairs lights so its nowt to do with them.

I've been in the loft today, all chipboarded out apart from above the bathroom were they've wired spots. Took JB off to try and bell neutrals to earth out, this JB must serve most lights as the cables fork off like a spider. When i split neutrals i managed to find two seperate neutrals are shorting to earth. They both go in seperate directions from different lights.

It's confused me even more. Tried taking lights down but much easier with a second pair of hands so the owner (my mate) is gonna give us a hand next saturday.

Whats more confusing is that i re-tested the cct's IR, compared to yesterdays i got much healthier results of L-E 900 meg and N-E of 800+ so why when i bell earth to neutral out on continuity i'm getting a short? Maybe my multifunction tester needs calibrating.

Mind you i dismantled a dodgy looking fitting in the on suite yesterday but that wasn't the main problem.

Where you 'split the neutrals' I assume you mean that you disconnected different cables from the JB and tested them individually. Did these cables actually run to individual lights, or were they actually the supply (lighting ring = two cables) from the CU? If the latter, then that will explain why you are getting N-E short (assuming TNCS supply) unless you have disconnected cables (both N and E) for that circuit at the CU.

Smoke detectors were both intact ok. Ran IR tests on cct with heads dropped out and gave me healthy reading. Re-installed and tested both working ok with interconnections making other beep in fault mode as norm.

However they've never been changed since original install and both need replacing as they're past their sell by date of 2005!
So next saturday i will fit 2 new smokes and a new light fitting for the on suite.

Still haven't located the fault on the upstairs lights. The outside lights are fed via the downstairs lights so its nowt to do with them.

I've been in the loft today, all chipboarded out apart from above the bathroom were they've wired spots. Took JB off to try and bell neutrals to earth out, this JB must serve most lights as the cables fork off like a spider. When i split neutrals i managed to find two seperate neutrals are shorting to earth. They both go in seperate directions from different lights.

It's confused me even more. Tried taking lights down but much easier with a second pair of hands so the owner (my mate) is gonna give us a hand next saturday.

Whats more confusing is that i re-tested the cct's IR, compared to yesterdays i got much healthier results of L-E 900 meg and N-E of 800+ so why when i bell earth to neutral out on continuity i'm getting a short? Maybe my multifunction tester needs calibrating.

Mind you i dismantled a dodgy looking fitting in the on suite yesterday but that wasn't the main problem.

Are you carrying out this testing at the same position with connections left as is ?

Are you perhaps splitting this lighting circuit with the circuit isolated and insulation resistance testing ( high megohm reading)at that point, then perhaps you are leaving the lighting circuit off ,then switching on the main isolator, then doing continuity of neutral - earth ( low ohms reading via earth - neutral link) ?

You seem to have anomalies with the testing procedure by obtaining these results,a quick flick of the testing leads to verify the function on both scales is but a moment to carry out,it can become a good habbit that is carried out continually before and during use of the instrument/s

Cracked it guys!

Renewed a T&E that had not one but two nails through it under the chipboard!

Full house 17th ed RCD protected!

Thanks all for your input.

Just gotta change all socket fronts to chrome and jobs finished........would have been quicker rewiring.

I've learnt one thing for any upcoming jobs, to take my multi function tester and give wiring a 250Volt megga test. :)

Also renewed old smoke detectors, bought Aico, they were £35 inc vat for two.

Also got new IP rated light fitting for en suite.

It'll be boxed soon and i'll be very glad when it is!lol.

Reply to 17th edition Split board issues. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock