Discuss 17th Edition in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

windies17

Hi folks

need a wee bit of advice, I've been working as a sparks mate, on and off for a few years, I've decided to take the plunge and my 17th edition next month.

My question - A guy I worked with suggested doing PAT testing, I am not sure it would be worth my while. Any suggestions

Hi folks

need a wee bit of advice, I've been working as a sparks mate, on and off for a few years, I've decided to take the plunge and my 17th edition next month.

My question - A guy I worked with suggested doing PAT testing, I am not sure it would be worth my while. Any suggestions

Not really...imo PAT is not worthwhile as there are firms out there that are willing to do it for pittance.

PAT testing was one of the courses I taught (I retired the other day from training a large DNO), but to be honest, apart from one marine research centre near Oban, all the courses I ran in recent years were for in-house electricians doing testing for their own businesses. I get the impression that most of the major contracts for PAT are dealt with by large companies who don't exactly pay top dollar to their guys. Inspection & testing, while tougher courses, seem to be better from the point of view of making a living. Of course, i haven't worked out there in the real world for many years, these are just impressions I get from guys that I've trained.

Cheers for the reply. I asked my gaffer what he thought of me doing it and he said I was a complete numpty if I was considering it. I cant use foul languge but numpty == bellend

for pat testing, you need to be competent to do ti. lot of timeit's done by caretakers and hanymen. no need to pay out goodmoney just to get the paper. i did it years ago coz. the firm paid. otherwise save the moneyyou would have spent for beer.

Reply to 17th Edition in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock