Discuss 18th coming & it's set to go back in time,more bonding & ridiculous ruling. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Heard through the grapevine,apparently power network companies have been receiving compensation claims after people are getting shocks,with the breakdown of Neutral connections on Pme systems.
This then relates to main/ supplementary bonding like before in 80's etc.
Also main bonding of street lighting to requirements no less than 25mm with Earth electrode.
Maybe a return to more TT systems too

LIghtning conductors compulsory,tri-concentric with spare neutral,all new DB's to be fitted with tiny fire-extinguishers...blah blah blah :eek:

Heard through the grapevine,apparently power network companies have been receiving compensation claims after people are getting shocks,with the breakdown of Neutral connections on Pme systems.
This then relates to main/ supplementary bonding like before in 80's etc.
Also main bonding of street lighting to requirements no less than 25mm with Earth electrode.
Maybe a return to more TT systems too

Well, its taken 110 years to recognize that plastic enclosures do catch fire, particularly when the installer doesn't tighten up the terminals;

then its only taken 9 years to appreciate the dangers of poor or inefficient protective equipotential bonding coupled with poorly maintained PME supplies..

and there are all those people from dubious backgrounds telling us how reliable the PME supplies are and where nobody experiences failed neutrals....

I think i'll wait for the DPC till the big red book, or will it be the big blue book is released.

Yea agree,remember the old gaffer saying,I don't make the rules,but you have to do what they say.
Wonder if thy have these abroad,Over- Spec rulings,I think not.

I do chuckle when people listen too and believe such tittle tattle. Urban myths abound.

Back to the 18th, if you have a look at some of those threads I posted, there are some documented proposals, you could, as Murdoch suggested, even sign up to see the 'Draft for Public Comment' due to be published in June, to see the actual proposed 18th Edition.

But why what for June, when you can have some fun now :rolleyes:

I had to go to the dentist as well - always a costly mistake! Though I did find a proving unit in a close cash converters and because they couldn't sell it (because only us know what it is!) he knocked a load of money off. If I ever have an assessment for a scheme I've now got the unit - not that it's the only reason to get one but I have survived with 'known sources' for 16 months!

I'll bet that wasn't easy to type - salute your perseverance! I'll be that way next Wednesday.

I bore a pooving uni sum thyme a go, ---- in the barc of my vin since. As you say, always hanpy to hive when assessment thyme comes arund. Sorry bout spelling. My moof hurts.

Sounds like that dentist used a kango on yer.

Did he use supplementary bonding for your crown?

Last edited:
I managed to get a few jobs from mine today so will be visiting his house to have a look - I think he will be making a bit more money from me though! He has followed me through my training and trusts me after all these years!

got to be honest been busy with gas work to realise this is coming again. this is just daft, money making machine at its best. I take it we actually have to do the 18th edition this time instead of just noting the changes?

Reply to 18th coming & it's set to go back in time,more bonding & ridiculous ruling. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net