Discuss 1st fix protection from plaster in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

taranjit singh

Good afternoon ladies and gents...
I was talking to my plasterer and he mentioned a plastic cover for back boxes to pop on after the first fix.i will be working with this plasterer regularly so i want to make both our lives easier.

Do you kind people have any ideas as to what they are called as he can't quite remember.
All i have come across are the yoozybox,and the cardboard blank it..
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sounds like a blank plate, screws on the front of flush fittings until plastering is finished & then gets removed, cleaned & re used on the next job.
Does a good job of keeping wires & boxes clear. Available from any electrical wholesalers, 1 tip: buy spare screws for them.

So they sit over your back box so the plasterer can spread muck up to the edge and you cut it away afterwards? Would you put a blank on with 75mm 3.5s?

Ahh ok i suppose thats the gaffer tape makes sense,i suppose i cld try that...

Its not the yoozy box,nor the blanking screw plate.he said it just clips in the same as the cardboard blank it.
It allows him to skim straight over and when it comes to the 2nd fix you just pop it out clean it and reuse it.

Thanks for the replies much appreciated

I'm not sure about these yoozyboxes. It makes it hard for the plasterer to skim the wall flat, as he has to skim around the box. Granted a good plasterer would be annoyed but could still do a good job, and granted all they do is stick brown ---- to walls, cut our cables, ruin our marks... you know what I will fit them!

I'll stick to packaging tape over the boxes. Cheap, does the job, and can use it to tape the plasterers mouth shut when he starts complaining!

some time ago, in the reign of the 16th, we did a complete rewire. 1st fixed whole house and 2nd fixed kitchen ( so they'd have a working kitchen and power to do restoration work). for financial reasons the 2nd fix of the rest of the house was delayed by 3 months. when this 2nd fix was completed, 1 RFC was found to have no continuity r1,r2,rN, after about 30 minutes of investigation, i noticed there was no socket in a place where i thought i'd allowed for one. out comes the magnet to find a double back box, filled, skimmed, and wallpapered over. cut the decor to find the box containing 2 perfect virgin 2.5mm coiled inside.

So it works this way..
Crappy boarders who don't care make a pigs ear of their work and leave gaps the size of your thumb round the boxes because they can't be arsed to cut accurately. Plasterer comes and plasters over, but some plaster ends up inside the boxes.
Because you couldn't get there the day that the plaster was green to trim back, the strength of the set plaster when hard is much greater than the strength of the bond to the powdery edge of the board.
Result is that even careful carving back with sharp stanley knife on hard plaster causes many areas to break away, leaving big gaps round the boxes back to the original PB edge. Much repair work will take you ages with wall filler and trowel. Boarders say not their fault, plasterer likewise.

Depends on the builder as well.
Our company do a lot of new builds for the major house builders so we are required to tape the boxes.
However if boarders cover our boxes or somehow manage to loose our cables etc, then we back charge the builder/boarders if there's any holes caused by us finding cables/boxes.
So it rarely happens because the boarders get their arse kicked of the site manager.

Also work for a big builder on a lot of refurb jobs both commercial and domestic and they don't give a sh*t and constantly board over and trap cables but it's always OUR problem apparently!

Reply to 1st fix protection from plaster in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net