Discuss 2 electricians on site at any given time - your feedback in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Is he still on his notice period, do you have to follow a set procedure i.e. meeting, chance to rectify any issues ask him what his problems are give him a cuddle (have a witness in the room) and give him a chance to improve?

I have worked at places (non electrical) where if you ended up working in the depths of the basement there was a webcam linked and it was always checked just incase you tripped and had an accident so security could be called to offer assistance also worked for a Government Agency and if you went to a remote site/home visit and there was a lone female then you had to take someone with you so no false allegations could be made by either party.

So errr...what, I mean, errrm what does it fit it then? Actually no, I don't want to know...I think
Actually not fitting in your hand could be a good thing if you give it some thought, if stopped by the Police you couldn't be done for carrying a concealed weapon, oops, and end up giving Cops some cock and bull story.

Last edited:
plumbers will be OK though. they generally carry ballcocks in their kit ( or is it in their brains). :p

We were all maybe a bit hesitant when we took our first steps alone in the big world of contracting, but you just got on with it and the self confidence grew with you. In other words you were slung off the deep end and had to learn pretty quick how to survive, doing things on your own single handed. We all wish for a perfect world ie only changing boards on newer installations, but life is not like that, I think if you keep giving in to his demands you life is going to get worse as the demands get more extreme, he needs to shape up or ship out.
Sorry the rant is now over, now back to PAT testing items;)

Gotta say, the guys I've been working with could not have been more encouraging and supportive but staff and work demands meant I was on-site alone after 10-12 weeks so you do your best not to fall in a hole, off a ladder or into the s**t. Managed everything except my two-way lighting was wrong (new builds, no power, no damage) I can empathise with a newbie unsure of himself but surely most major issues can be avoided with a phone call.

Well done for considering your guy rather than adopting the "grow a pair" mentality.

Why was it a dumb answer/question love to know your reasoning.
To elaborate, the question was asked/meant to ascertain if there had been any prior conversations before this Guy was taken on as an Electrician/Domestic Installer what ever. I suppose the only dumb thing would be., if you are dumb enough to take someone on without getting his / her take on different situations, then you have to ask yourself the question, "who is the dumbest the employer or the person asking the question".:p:D:rolleyes:

Sounds like he is not confident, or just plain useless
he sounds like the sort of Chod that works better on a construction site
lose him and employ some one semi retired looking for a few days work
I had a chimp exactly like him, I had to get rid of him in the end
and a Plumber I know has just lost all of the work I used to give him for employing a kid with the same manner

Seems to me everyone is being too kind regarding this Manc spark . It's all very well taking on board this guys likes and dislikes but what about what your company needs ? Your not a counsellor or a social worker or a shrink . Send him on his way down the job centre and wish him all the best .

Thanks for all your input.

Seems 'lack of confidence' seemed to come up many a time in the thread and I believe this is probably what he has lacked so far and has been reflected in his approach/attitude.

It's a big investment from any employer to put into someone like this (time, money, energy, training etc) hence why the decision is not an easy one. Am reviewing the situation a little longer but will keep all of your feedback in mind.

Thanks again.

You seem to be a very fair minded guy Graham and whatever decision you eventually arrive at it can't be said that
You haven't given it plenty of thought.
There ought to be more conscientious
employers such as yourself and for that reason I wish you and your business all
the best.

I think this is why agencies are used so much even the smaller companies 'testing the waters' with new employees in order to pick out the best permanent employees.
There aren't the employment laws involved through agency so you can effectively say 'on yer way' No comeback!

Reply to 2 electricians on site at any given time - your feedback in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net