Discuss 2 phases and neutral in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E.E.I

-
Reaction score
went to look at a job this evening and the supply into the building is 2 phase and neutral.

They property is a shop ground floor and a flat on the first floor, one phase for each unit, my guess this is the reason for the two phases, but why not bring in all 3?

I haven't come across this before

If you look on your certs there is an option for 2 phase. So it would be easier to bring two phases in as shop and flat have to be separately metered rather than bring in 2 single phases.

From the customers point of view why pay for 3 when 2 will do.
From the suppliers point of view why waste money putting an extra phase in that will never be used, and may already be at the max in the area.

I haven't tested the voltage between phases but they are labelled L1 & L2 on the tails to the meter although this is just in marker pen!

Some confusion here. Split-phase (230-0-230) does have 460V between lines. That is an old system, more or less obsolete in the UK, where larger LV installations were served from single-phase HV lines such as on farms. It was not used where 3-phase supplies were available. Two phases out of a 3-phase supply will have 400V between lines and this will be the case in an urban system where 3-phase distribution cables are laid in the road.

Re the installation mentioned in the OP, if the service cable is old (e.g. prewar) it was likely a 3-core cable installed for 3-wire DC mains. A small installation would have only one outer (line) and the neutral, hence a 2-core service cable, but a larger one would be supplied with both outers via a 3-core service cable (i.e. positive line, negative line and neutral). When changed over to 3-phase AC, the two lines of the existing serivce cables were connected to two of the three phases of the new distribution cables. I have this at my house, with two separate single phase supplies derived from the two lines. I cannot have the third phase without the 1930s service cable being replaced.

FWIW there was another historical system properly called '2-phase' that was neither split-phase (which is really just centre-tapped single-phase) nor two phases out of three. It used a 3 or 4 wire supply with the two lines at 90°, intended to give the advantage of a rotating field without power-zeroes in induction motors, but it lost out to the more versatile 3-phase system.

Last edited:
Is it really a split phase ?
Or just two phases from a three phase system ?
The difference will be the between phase voltage.
But it looks like it is supporting only single phase loads.

Reply to 2 phases and neutral in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock