Discuss 2 Rcd's? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

HorridToe

I'm thinking of having a new fuseboard fitted. The existing one has 8 fuse in it and is boxed in. The 2 electricians who have come to quotesay i need a board with A main switch 2 Rcds and 8 circuit breakers. the board will not fit in the boxing. My friend has a board with 1Rcd and eight circuit breakers. could i have one of those fitted?
Thanks

Having just one RCD is a non conforming and poor way of doing it, the reason for 2 RCD's is so you dont lose all power due to one fault.

Like Lee says a new unit comprised of RCBO's (combination circuit breakers) instead of "standard" circuit breakers provides a solution as you now need no seperate RCD's, did neither of the "electricians" suggest this?

I know I'm unusual but I try to upsell RCBO's to everyone

I think that for size the ''fuseboard'' with main switch and RCBO's is the smallest available in width.You will have to have a look at each of the manufacturers dimentions and see if you can't get one to allow spare ways for future additions. although could be slightly more expensive using RCBO's is the best way as under fault conditions only one circuit is tripped off.

As above You can fit a RCBO board which means every circuit is on its own individual RCD. Its more expensive than a Dual RCD board but the boards are smaller so will probably fit into the space. The electricians should have discussed this option with you. I normally advise installing a RCBO board as this minimises disruption if there is a fault. Just that one circuit is disrupted rather than loosing half the house.

I Cover Glasgow so get in touch if you want me to come out and provide a quotation.

Thanks for the replies. I tol the electrician I was trying to keep the cost down so maybe thats why he didnt mention the Rcbo option. I will ring him in the morning for a price cos if it fits I will prob be cheaper than rebuilding the boxing .

Reply to 2 Rcd's? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock