Discuss 2-way circuit issue in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

snhunt

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #454545} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #454545; min-height: 14.0px}

Hi there,

I’ve just moved into a new flat with a two-way circuit in the hallway. For some reason using two large LED bulbs (E27 4W dimmable) doesn’t seem to work on this circuit (not using a dimmer switch), but using two standard, non-dimmable LEDs seems to work fine.

Does anyone know why the larger bulbs don’t come on at all? Would fitting a dimmer switch for LEDs make any difference?

Thanks!

Were LED lamps in there when you moved in or have you taken out filament bulbs and replace with LEDs?

So only one fitting had a bulb in it and I think it was a standard incandescent filament (though possibly a low-energy fluorescent bulb...can't really remember).

Could be with an E27 bulb, if the fittings have had filament lamps in for a long time, if they've been screwed in too tight and/or the end contact has gotten hot, it could have lost it's spring resulting in a poor or non-existent contact with the end of the bulb. The non-dimmable ones may have a long enough point to make contact, the non-dimmable ones not. In which case, new fittings time or if you're not planning on dimming stick with the non-dimmable ones, but personally I would still look at getting the fittings changed to avoid any possibility of arcing caused by poor contact because bad contact is a fairly big contributing factor in electrical fires.

Without being there and being able to test it's practically impossible to provide a definitive answer. I'd recommend having a look in the directory here and finding a local spark and getting it checked out.

Could be with an E27 bulb, if the fittings have had filament lamps in for a long time, if they've been screwed in too tight and/or the end contact has gotten hot, it could have lost it's spring resulting in a poor or non-existent contact with the end of the bulb. The non-dimmable ones may have a long enough point to make contact, the non-dimmable ones not. In which case, new fittings time or if you're not planning on dimming stick with the non-dimmable ones, but personally I would still look at getting the fittings changed to avoid any possibility of arcing caused by poor contact because bad contact is a fairly big contributing factor in electrical fires.

Without being there and being able to test it's practically impossible to provide a definitive answer. I'd recommend having a look in the directory here and finding a local spark and getting it checked out.

Will do. That's really helpful – thanks for the advice!

Actually – I just realised that my friend already changed the fittings and installed new E27 fittings to replace the ceiling roses. So maybe it's something other than bad connections?

Ok, so maybe it's as simple as the ends of the bulb... some E27s are a bit flatter and may not make good contact with the fitting.

Are the dimmable bulbs good quality? Do they work in another fitting?

I'd be inclined to find yourself a reputable local spark and get them to have a look. Maybe there is someone on the forums local to you?

Reply to 2-way circuit issue in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net