Discuss 2015 built nursery building with no RCD protection to undersink water heaters in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Evening all, I was doing some repairs to emergency lights in a school and when I went into the switch room to find the fuses for the lights I found the heating board by mistake, reading down the chart I soon realised my error but then saw that there was no RCD protection to the 15 or so heaters that had been installed, am I missing something it is my understanding that these should be backed by an RCD, happy to be in the wrong if someone can put me right!
ps. of the 8 emergency lights I was called to look at 5 of them didn't have the battery pack plugged in!

Rcd protection,what is the location or installation method that you believe makes it necessary?

You say it's in metal conduit? If it is installed correctly and has the correct Zs for the final circuit no problem?
Let's jump on the needs a RCD bandwagon

I was under the impression that somewhere in the regs there was a section on water heaters and RCD, however the regs book has changed several times recently and I no longer have the little sticky tabs in it that I used to have, I also thought that as it was a nursery school building it would have been as safe as it could, I don't have a reg number otherwise I wouldn't need to ask the question. and I did say in my initial post I was happy to be wrong, never to old to do some learning.

I was under the impression that somewhere in the regs there was a section on water heaters and RCD, however the regs book has changed several times recently and I no longer have the little sticky tabs in it that I used to have, I also thought that as it was a nursery school building it would have been as safe as it could, I don't have a reg number otherwise I wouldn't need to ask the question. and I did say in my initial post I was happy to be wrong, never to old to do some learning.

Under the impression that it's somewhere in the regs?
Why not open your regs book and find out for yourself?

What do you mean by 'as safe as it could', what unsafe situation are you thinking of that an RCD would improve?
An RCD won't help a nursery aged child, they will almost certainly be dead long before the 30mA threshold.

if I could find it in the regs book I wouldn't be asking would I, I am presuming that you are helpfully explaining that it isn't in the regs, which would be the reason i couldn't find it and that you personally feel that it wouldn't be required. Thank you for you response.

if I could find it in the regs book I wouldn't be asking would I, I am presuming that you are helpfully explaining that it isn't in the regs, which would be the reason i couldn't find it and that you personally feel that it wouldn't be required. Thank you for you response.

You are presuming wrong, I'm the forum's own resident psychopath.

I am suggesting that an electrician should have a good working knowledge of the current wiring regulations and keep themselves up to date with the changes as they happen, and so should be able to at least support their statements with reference to said regulations.

Last edited:

Reply to 2015 built nursery building with no RCD protection to undersink water heaters in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock