Discuss 20A Fused Switch or DIN mounted 20A RCBO in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Well, its not that harsh, its modern brick construction on concrete slab with a good solid roof - i'm just over spec'ing

Why? A steel IP65 unit, if it exists, is going to be incredibly expensive!

yer, I probably wasn't clear, either steel or IP65 if I overspec it. I wasn't planning a steel + Ip65

Titanic was over specced.

@davesparks We're off topic here, I asked for some opinions on avoiding 20A DP switches and housing relays... sounded like a small CU is good idea. I had seen some MK IP65 Garage CU's on the CEF website and 'assumed' they could be used?

I'm sure my electrician will put me on the straight an narrow - I'm very grateful for the advice!

@davesparks We're off topic here, I asked for some opinions on avoiding 20A DP switches and housing relays... sounded like a small CU is good idea. I had seen some MK IP65 Garage CU's on the CEF website and 'assumed' they could be used?

it could be used, but you'll have to put it inside a non-combustible enclosure.

Isthe garage detached from the house?
If it is, then there's no requirement (as far as I am aware) for a non-combustible CU.

Isthe garage detached from the house?
If it is, then there's no requirement (as far as I am aware) for a non-combustible CU.

I don't think the regulations make that distinction, they only say domestic premises.
Premises implies everything within the boundaries of the property, which would include all outbuildings

i suppose you could argue that a detached garage is not part of the dwelling.

Premises: A house or building together with its land and outbuildings.
On site guide and using your common sense.
It suggests that a risk assessment will need attaching to eic if metal unit is not used
I'd use metal every time to eliminate any doubt

Last edited:
Argue the point if you like but it's from the on site guide which as name does suggest is a guide only.
Just make sure you tilt your head to read it20A Fused Switch or DIN mounted 20A RCBO IMG_2756.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

From wiring matters:
Consumer units in outbuildings or on the outside of a building
Regulation 421.1.201 uses the term ‘premises’. The question could therefore arise: do the requirements of the regulation apply to a consumer unit or similar switchgear assembly within an outbuilding such as a garages or shed, or mounted on the outside or a building?

Some dictionary definitions of ‘premises’ are ‘a house or building, together with its land and outbuildings’ and ‘the land and buildings owned by someone’.

However, Regulation 421.1.201 was principally introduced to cover the interior of a household building and any garage or other outbuildings integral, attached, or in close proximity to that building.

Doubt could exist about whether or not a particular outbuilding could reasonably be considered to be in ‘close proximity’ to the household building. A way of resolving this might be to make a judgement of the likelihood that fire originating inside the enclosure of a consumer unit or similar switchgear in the outbuilding might lead to the outbreak of fire in the household building or in any outbuilding integral or attached to it. Relevant factors to consider about such an outbuilding might include whether or not that building or its expected contents are highly combustible.

Regulation 421.1.201 is not intended to apply to a consumer unit or similar switchgear assembly that is not within a building, such as a consumer unit mounted outdoors on the outside of a building.

A garage is a building is it not?
Then non combustible it should be in my eyes

Reply to 20A Fused Switch or DIN mounted 20A RCBO in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock