Discuss 230v mains to 12v or 24v USB in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi
Does anyone know a way this can can be done

I want to wire some usb sockets up the same type you can find in cars, up to a fused connection unit how do I go about doing this.
I know I will need a transformer of some sort but what's the best way to go about this.

I know some people are going to say why not just use the ones what come on sockets but that's not what I want so if somebody could help me out would be much appreciated

Example of the type of usb is in the picture I will attach Screenshot_20160505-192919.jpgScreenshot_20160505-192926.jpg

No if you look at the pictures I added you will see its a usb socket with two prongs on the end which I would like to wire to mains 240, I already have the items you have spammed on your post

You just need 12V power supplies of whatever rating is sufficient for the number of USB sockets you are using. 3A@5V USB output will probably require 1.5-2A@12V input so a single socket might be well served by a 2.5 or 3.3A adaptor like:
POWERPAX - SW3576 - AC-DC POWER SUPPLY, 12V 3.3A IEC 2.1 | Premier Farnell CPC UK
You can get up to about 12A @ 12V in the brick format quite cheaply which would power maybe 4-6 of your sockets. Crimp 6.35mm receptacles onto cables and common them together at the PSU.

Last edited:
It is, but from the OP and the type of product these units would be designed to fit in a vehicle dash and contain a converter from 12V to 5V with the current limiting circuit etc. Actually it doesn't give a spec for the input but almost certainly 12V.

No if you look at the pictures I added you will see its a usb socket with two prongs on the end which I would like to wire to mains 240, I already have the items you have spammed on your post

If you already have the 240V to 12V adaptors which has linked to then why are you asking us to find you exactly that item?

Hooking usb to.12-24v is Nutty, ie you are ramming more voltage up some thing that thinks it's about to get 5v

So transformed then bridge rectifier a bit of smoothing then reg
Then hook ya usb contacts up
You will need to figure out what side is positive and ground

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?img...sPMAhVkCcAKHX1VCJEQMwhSKCkwKQ&iact=mrc&uact=8

Read the thread properly, has has a usb power supply module with a 12-24 volt input, this module will have the requisite 5 volt output. he is not trying to create a 12-24 volt supply on a sub connector

I don't think we are reading the same thing
He has nothing... But wants to hook up the mains 240v, drop it down to 12-24v and chuck it out
Dosnt say he has any thing the pictures are examples
Also says he knows he will need a transformer

Need to read what Dan is asked and not everyone else

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Lucien has covered things pretty well already. Daz

Cut the unwanted sockets off and wire your USB ones on.
Then cut the 13amp plug off and wire them into a 230v fused connection unit.

You were asking for power supplies, I thought you might have been able to work that out.

If you really wanted to wire your USB sockets to a fused connection unit then I would suggest looking for a compact encapsulated SMPS of similar spec to those Lucien has linked to and mount a 3A SFCU adjacent to a empty single gang box probably with a 35mm or deeper back box (depending on the size of the USB sockets you specify. The 230V power can come from the SFCU and connect to the power supply input and the output of the power supply can be connected to the USB socket via push on female crimp connectors. The power supply would fit in the empty back box and the usb socket could then be mounted in a blank plate to fix over the empty box, the location would be determined by the spacing needed for the power supply.
You would need to ensure the power supply can dissipate enough heat.
Overall expensive and complicated, but it is possible.

Reply to 230v mains to 12v or 24v USB in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net