Discuss 2391 - 2394/95 - 2391 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I don't think you can be taught to do Periodics, sure you can show someone how to test, any monkey can do that but how exactly do they teach the Inspection side of it because that is surely down to years of experience which cannot be taught.

I don't think you can be taught to do Periodics, sure you can show someone how to test, any monkey can do that but how exactly do they teach the Inspection side of it because that is surely down to years of experience which cannot be taught.

My point was that it started as the 2391, changed to the 2394/2395 and has now morphed back into the 2391, part is open book too, perhaps C&G are feeling the pressure from EAL?

I'd qualify that slightly by saying that it can only be taught effectively by gaining experience in the field under the supervision of an experienced tester.

that sucks, I am aware that my 2394/5 was considered inferior and dumbed down compared to the old 2391, but now the 2391 is coming back I might as well never have bothered.
Agree, it's not good to have uncertainty. I have asked C&G what's happening and all they would say was 2394/5 will continue to be offered.
PS - I think your 2394/5 is good training and a tough assessment !!!

To be fair some of the papers I have seen posted it seem to be very similar.
The two hour written and 20 questions (I think 20 maybe more) from memory instead of multiple choice may have been a bit more difficult as was closed book.

the way i understand it, is the 2391 is not a stand alone course but an addition that that those an installers course can do so they do not have to do 2394/5.

the way i understand it, is the 2391 is not a stand alone course but an addition that that those an installers course can do so they do not have to do 2394/5.
The 2391 is a further course that can be taken after completion of qualification as an additional level of progress, the course often offered on the fast track courses is 2392 which is an introductory course to the 2391.
For the last few years the 2391 has been withdrawn and replaced with the 2394/2395 qualifications but it now seems the 2391 is being resurrected in the form of three different course options which effectively match the old 2391, the 2394 and the 2395.
What is the 2393-10?
This course is simply covering the requirements of the building regulations in relation to electrical installation as a sop to the "Part P Qualification" brigade, not really of any particular value except to demonstrate on paper that you have read the approved documents.

The 2391 is a further course that can be taken after completion of qualification as an additional level of progress, the course often offered on the fast track courses is 2392 which is an introductory course to the 2391.
For the last few years the 2391 has been withdrawn and replaced with the 2394/2395 qualifications but it now seems the 2391 is being resurrected in the form of three different course options which effectively match the old 2391, the 2394 and the 2395.

This course is simply covering the requirements of the building regulations in relation to electrical installation as a sop to the "Part P Qualification" brigade, not really of any particular value except to demonstrate on paper that you have read the approved documents.
Thanks.

There seems to have been a lot of dumbing down the qualifications recently, and a lot more cowboys on the loose. Luckily there seems to be less general public trying to do their own work from what I've seen which can only be good.

I do think there needs to some tightening up of the law regarding electrical work, like the gas regs have. Testing is 90% experience, so coming out of college and going straight into EICR's should be prohibited somehow. I've no idea how this would be enforced though.

Reply to 2391 - 2394/95 - 2391 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net