Discuss 2391 returning, well on website it is anyway? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

it looks like it's making a come back. . . but it's now like a wimpy version of 2391
It wasn't wimpy when I took it twice and passed both times, took it twice because the firm paid for it and I fancied a few days off site, anyone got a problem with that? good.

Yes, I have heard the new 2391 will be even more lenient than the current 2394/5, going to the open book approach for exams.

The official spiel is that the 2391 is being brought back due to demand from industry for the old qualification. In reality it gives them a chance to rebrand the qual to 2391 in name whilst making the exam open book in an attempt to stop EAL taking their custom due to the easier pass.

It wasn't wimpy when I took it twice and passed both times, took it twice because the firm paid for it and I fancied a few days off site, anyone got a problem with that? good.
oh the original 2391 that you took is the proper qualification and you're worth your weight in gold if you pass it.

I'm saying that this new 2391 isn't going so be the same as the old, a 2391 Lite if you like :p

When you go on holiday...
Do you read bs7671 on the beach???

Can anyone actually confirm that the old 2391 was discontinued because it was too difficult.
I thought it was incredibly difficult but wasn't that the whole point?
Our trade isn't easy so why try to make it so?
C&G would never confirm that they removed it because of the level of difficulty.
However since the pass rate was very low for some years I do not think that would be the sole reason. Probably it was the competition introducing an easier exam, however this is also speculation.

Can anyone actually confirm that the old 2391 was discontinued because it was too difficult.
the only ones who say the old 2391 wasn't that difficult are those who never managed to pass it. It was not for part time study and you had to know guidance note 3 word for word

I think the official reason was that with the rise of the domestic installer, the market demanded a qualification split as a lot would never need the periodic inspection element of the 2391.
So basically, yeah it became easier to pass just the initial verification part.

To confirm and quash all rumours I have it on good authority. The C&G 2391 original had a 70% failure rate generally in colleges. This made colleges look very bad. They dealt with this by breaking the course down into parts. And moved over to the EAL version of 2394/5 (open book) The result of this cunning plan is that colleges now had a 70% pass rate and looked good. However canny employers knew, the C&G version was the one to look for in people having the 2391 2394/5. Now I know some people are going to get cross about this as they did the EAL, but it is just a fact of life, don't shoot the messenger. BTW C&G me.

To confirm and quash all rumours I have it on good authority. The C&G 2391 original had a 70% failure rate generally in colleges. This made colleges look very bad. They dealt with this by breaking the course down into parts. And moved over to the EAL version of 2394/5 (open book) The result of this cunning plan is that colleges now had a 70% pass rate and looked good. However canny employers knew, the C&G version was the one to look for in people having the 2391 2394/5. Now I know some people are going to get cross about this as they did the EAL, but it is just a fact of life, don't shoot the messenger. BTW C&G me.
Totally correct and it winds some people up a lot but the he fact is,many good electricians couldn't pass the 2391 after trying 4 or more times . Plus when the exam was split into 3 seperate parts that = more money for the exam providers

Reply to 2391 returning, well on website it is anyway? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock