Discuss 2394 exam run out of time...advise appreciated in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

DaveS

-
Reaction score
Hi fellas. Not been on here for while hope everyone's well. To my surprise I passed 2394/95 theory first time with alot of help from you lot (many thanks) unfortunately I run out of time with 2394 exam (2 hours to test and initial verication of new installation) I'm keen learner but unfortunately due to work been doing not gained great deal testing experience other than testing own property and trying to get quicker at this : ) Any tips on how I could speed up and thoughts on how I plan to test this install appreciated and if I'm breaking any safe procedures or anything examiner may fail me on.

Rig consists of 2 boards one supplying other.

Board A

Three phase socket
Three phase isolator
Lighting 2 way intermediate
Radial fcu
Ring circuit
3 phase DOL starter
Distribution circuit to board B
Bonding to water
Bonding to Gas
Bonding to Tray

Board B

2 way lighting
Radial
3 phase sockets

Way I'm intending to test this time is Safe isolate both boards. Fill forms. Phase test board A. ZE board A. Then work through test sequence through sheet doing each circuit at a time in the sequence of sheet. R1 + R2 test method one on radials. Correct in thinking this means R2 not required, confirms polarity and can add this to Ze to give me Zs of circuit? Where Rings concerned do the 3 separate tests and test any RCD'S last when board is reenergised. Then move on to board B. Phase sequence again, Ze (isolate board A and just test R1 + R2 of distribution circuit and add this to Ze of board A?)

Thoughts appreciated, if made glaring mistakes excuse me been a long day

Build your own test rig - that looks more or less like the one you'll meet in the practical exam - and practice testing it a few times - till you can do it in the time allowed! :smile:

Good luck with the second time around, you will find it somewhat easier as you have been there before and so this should help.

Remember inspection precedes testing so it is always best to know what you are looking at before you start to isolate.
For the exam you already know what you have there and so it is a matter of checking that it does match your expectations.
Also, though I say it as I shouldn't, you know that there are no errors of installation for the exam so all inspections should be OK. But just be sure that you are putting ticks on the correct items e.g there is no alternate power supply so put N/A not tick.

Get the installation supply details and characteristics down on the first page, and then breaker size, type, ratings, installation method (since it is obvious) down on the circuit lists on the schedules of test results, for both boards, remembering that the distribution circuit to board B is just another radial circuit on board A.

Once you have safely isolated both boards take off the covers and write down all the cable sizes.
Work your way through the installation certificate form, so start with Ze, continuity of bonding, then move on to the board A circuits dead test, then board B circuits dead tests; they are listed on the form in the order you need to do them as an aide memoire.
Get all the dead tests for both boards complete before re-energising for the live tests, it saves the time spent to isolate, turn on, isolate again.

Check you have all dead test results written down in the right places, energise the supply and test the RCDs, write down the results and make sure the boards are fully re assembled.
If all the tests are OK, which they should be as it is meant to be a perfect installation, (so if any results are not right then check them again (remember if you are sure there is something wrong just query this with the observer)) then you can move on to functional testing.
Check that all results have been recorded, sign and date and you are done.

The R1+R2 testing checks correct polarity and also allows you to calculate the Zs, there is no need on the exam to actually measure Zs at any point (only Ze at supply). R2 is not needed for circuits (only bonding).

Thanks Richard very helpful. Will continue to test own installation till pick up speed and helping another tester for bit shortly so hopefully this will help. Am going to take option of refresher day aswell and use own test equipment this time so hopefully all this will help

Reply to 2394 exam run out of time...advise appreciated in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net