Discuss 240 volt outside light measuring 180 volts. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

Therolster

Hi all. Looking for advice here. The mother in law had her house extended and totally rewired by someone that said to her he was a qualified sparks. I've been up the loft and found crimped wires and not even clipped down and a whole host of lovely terminal block connections. One set of these has all the earths in sleeving but not connected to anything
! As part of this rewire she had a wall mounted outside light installed. Apparently it has worked once but no longer does. We've changed the bulb - no difference. I measured 180v on it which I believe can be a loose neutral?
The problem is, there is no way to get into the loft where these cables go as it is sealed. PLUS I'm reluctant to start checking or even touching some of the terminal block monsters this guy has created in case I open up a can of worms.
Is there a canny way to trace this neutral without taking half the place to pieces? Assuming it is that!

All the best

Rol

I guess you're not an electrician because she got this bloke to rewire the place and not you. In the light of that then it's a bad idea for you to be poking around in anything. Get an electrician in for a look and an estimate of what it'll cost to put this right.
Incidentally, if the loft hatch is sealed, how did the rewire bloke get into it?

Hi Trev and thanks for the reply. I'm not as qualified and experienced as you guys. Do have my 17th and a few more certs but have not done anything elec wise for years. Certainly don't have any decent meters anymore other than my old basic fluke AVO (been doing other stuff for years now - non electrical). Plus I don't have time to take a pee let alone look at re-wiring her house.
Don't worry...I'm not going to start pulling this lot apart. I was just wondering if I could get some idea of how to figure this out. I've taken photos as it's just blown me away. The extension has a pitched roof but it's sealed by brz blocks. I guess the guy did the wiring when access was available to the ceiling space (obviously). He's not even screwed the ceiling lights in the extension, to anything solid, just plasterboard. Will prob end up getting a current sparks to take a look but she's an old girl and paid out loads already. I said I'd take a look.

I guess you're not an electrician because she got this bloke to rewire the place and not you. In the light of that then it's a bad idea for you to be poking around in anything. Get an electrician in for a look and an estimate of what it'll cost to put this right.
Incidentally, if the loft hatch is sealed, how did the rewire bloke get into it?

...He's still there...his dry,mummified remains,draped over a purlin...with the Wago fitting instructions still clutched in a bony hand...:icon12:

I can see this is going to get quite descriptive ;>) hopefully he is still up there!!!
The loft of the original building IS accessible. BUT when you try to get across to the new bit you are hit by a wall with holes through it and what looks like a ring for sockets going through it and a couple of 1.5 t&e also. They feed the new extension, basically a living room, two ceiling lights and I would hope the outside light. 'Hope' being the word in this mixture

whereabouts are you? a member may be close.

PEG - still p---ing myself with laughter here. That said, I could not leave an install in what I do these days (non electrical) in this condition, let alone an electrical install.

Hi telectrix. I don't want a sparks out just yet as I think the old girl will have a cardiac if it costs her any more money, although I think this will be the final conclusion. she's in a village near Dunstable, Beds. However...if there is someone close by that doesn't mind dropping by and confirming my statements that generally...crimped cables hanging in mid air, terminal block monsters rather than junction boxes, no earths attached, and an earth off at the CU, etc might not, possibly be up to the current standards, that might be useful.

Hi telectrix. I don't want a sparks out just yet as I think the old girl will have a cardiac if it costs her any more money, although I think this will be the final conclusion. she's in a village near Dunstable, Beds. However...if there is someone close by that doesn't mind dropping by and confirming my statements that generally...crimped cables hanging in mid air, terminal block monsters rather than junction boxes, no earths attached, and an earth off at the CU, etc might not, possibly be up to the current standards, that might be useful.

Go and have some stern words with the cowboy that did this work, your MiL must know where he lives,

Cowboy is the right word Pete999. However I fear this is going to be a closed post as I've found the nearest terminal block monster before the wires go into this sealed area and it measures 240v there.
So whatever has happened is in this sealed part of the loft. I had a ceiling light fitting down (not that that was difficult with 2 screws into plasterboard) to see if I could work out what the plum has done but have put it back up. As stated in earlier post I don't have the time to take a dump let alone open this can of worms. I've at least connected the earths in the lighting circuit now. If you want to see pics let me know. Def' one for the gallery of shame.

Cowboy is the right word Pete999. However I fear this is going to be a closed post as I've found the nearest terminal block monster before the wires go into this sealed area and it measures 240v there.
So whatever has happened is in this sealed part of the loft. I had a ceiling light fitting down (not that that was difficult with 2 screws into plasterboard) to see if I could work out what the plum has done but have put it back up. As stated in earlier post I don't have the time to take a dump let alone open this can of worms. I've at least connected the earths in the lighting circuit now. If you want to see pics let me know. Def' one for the gallery of shame.
Yep show the pics please

Apologies for the delay in uploading a couple of photos - worked called, as it does on a Monday morning!

Please le me know if Im wrong but I didn't think you were allowed to do this sort of thing i.e it had to be in junction boxes and cable clipped?

Anyhow - case closed as the MiL has contacted the guy about it all.

That crimped cable had loads of spare loose cable that could have fixed down and in a proper box.

All the best.

R

Attachments

• 240 volt outside light measuring 180 volts. IMG_0449 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_0449.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 240 volt outside light measuring 180 volts. IMG_0454 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_0454.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 240 volt outside light measuring 180 volts. IMG_0455 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_0455.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 13
have you a certificate for the work? if so, check the scheme logo ( niceic, elecsa, napit, whatever) and report the installer. work like .that is at best shoddy and at worst dangerous. ( leaning to the latter)/.

Rough as a Badger's bum, whoever did that should be hung drawn and arrested by the Electric Police, downright dangerous

Looking at that he was qualified at nothing except ripping old people off

Cheers for confirmation about this work. There are at least 7 1.5 t&e coming out of the bathroom light so me thinks maybe there is a terminal block monster in there and when we put some of the old girls stuff up the loft we may have dislodged one. It looks to be going across to the way the rear outside light is, possibly...know knows. I'm not going to get heavily involved here but I'll take a look.

She does indeed have the cert; NICEC.

It's when you see stuff like this that you can really appreciate the quality work that proper spark do. Makes me wonder that if you can cert this ten surely part-p is a bag of nuts.

Has there ever been an electrical certificate issued? As it was an extension being built, was the local building authority informed? If so was the extension signed off?
Re the photos! I wouldn't let the guy who installed, no threw it in, back indoors at all! It wants reporting, full stop.

Opps, sorry, possibly didn't see page 2.

Last edited:
Yes building regs been round but more interested in footings than anything else, so I'm told.

He can report this to the Niceic,but guess what their policy happens to be ? lol

You will need to give the original contractor the opportunity to rectify his(hesitates with words)installation work

If you fix the mess or someone else fixes the mess they will then wash their hands entirely
They will not admit that they enrol some numpties even when there is strong evidence,it could tarnish their reputation you understand

All in all,I don't see any prospect of the lady getting it sorted with any satisfaction soon

Reply to 240 volt outside light measuring 180 volts. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock