Discuss 240V Bathroom extractor fan in zone 1? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Toad

My electrician says he can't sign off the installation in my new loft conversion because the 240V extractor fan is in zone 1 (directly above the shower), and hence violates the Regs. He says the easiest option is to replace it with a 12V one, and locate the transformer remotely.

Disappointed, I phoned Vent Axia and Manrose to find out what 12V fans might be suitable, explaining my predicament. They both said the 240V fan is permitted in zone 1 under the 17th Edition Regs, provided the fan is IPX4 rated (which it is) and also that the circuit is RCD protected (which is it, since I have RCBOs on all circuits).

Please can someone confirm one way or the other. I don't want to embarass the electrician (NICEIC qualified), or myself, so I need to have reliable information on this, but obviously I don't want to change the fan if I don't have to!

what is the height from the shower tray to the fan? could be it's just outside zone 1.IMO, if the manufacturers instructions say suitable for zone 1, then it is.

Hi and welcome...

Surely your electrician fitted it?

That aside, no need to worry about embarrassing him, if you have the instructions or any reference material proving it, show it to him.

What he said ^^^^^ .... Loft extensions tend to be a bit short on height (but check that it's actually in zone 1....it could be outside the zones anyway). If the manuf says it's suitable it is. If it isn't suitable why did he fit it :p

The key question is whether the fan in zone 1 is permitted to be 240V, given that it is IPX4 rated and RCD protected.

so what you need is a copy of the fan's instructions from the manufacturer saying it's suitable for zone 1. then he can't argue. you should be able to download .

Jason, the electrician did not fit it. It is not yet connected electrically, just physically fitted, including the ducting.

701.55 (v) . ventilation equipment. provided it is suitable for installation in zone 1, according to the manufacturers instructions.

701.55 (v) . ventilation equipment. provided it is suitable for installation in zone 1, according to the manufacturers instructions.
Just beat me to it Tel :). Toad, if you do a Google search on the make and model of your fan it will say if its adequate for zone 1. If this was my bathroom I would change it to a 12V but I don't have to pay for it fitting.

Murdoch, surely there will be adequate protection against shock if the electric circuit is protected by the RCD?

There will be adequate protection by RCD, IP and double insulation, absolutely nothing wrong with this setup but we still fit inline extract, such a better job!

Reply to 240V Bathroom extractor fan in zone 1? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net