Discuss 240V Bathroom extractor fan in zone 1? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

It should state clearly in the Installation instructions which zones it is suitable for. The manufacturers instructions take precedence over any rules and regulations.

Cheers..........Howard

Have just accessed the manufacturer's instructions. All it says is that the wiring must comply with current IEE Regs. The fan is Vent-Axia Lo-Carbon dMEV Unit, IPX4 rated, 240V, and located in zone 1. Just to repeat, the cirucit is RCD protected (actually, RCBO in my case).

My original question still stands: can I keep this fan, or must it be replaced with a 12V one to make it satisfy the regs?

it wont be alot more to just buy a 12v why cant you take the 230v back and exchange it? seems mixed opinions and it might be less hassel in the long run for you so you can get it signed off!

Have just accessed the manufacturer's instructions. All it says is that the wiring must comply with current IEE Regs. The fan is Vent-Axia Lo-Carbon dMEV Unit, IPX4 rated, 240V, and located in zone 1. Just to repeat, the cirucit is RCD protected (actually, RCBO in my case).

My original question still stands: can I keep this fan, or must it be replaced with a 12V one to make it satisfy the regs?

Keep it if you want.
It complies with the regulations as long as it's IPX4 or IPX5 if there's a chance of water jets hitting it.
Tell your electrician to check table 8.1 in the OSG.

Toad, on a forum, you get a mixture of fact and opinion.

The facts are that the fan by way of it's IP rating does comply, it's also double insulated and RCD protected so if you want to keep it there, you can.

The opinion is that an inline fan or SELV unit is better but seeing as your fan is fitted and working.....

didnt the elctrician fit the fan? if not whys he signing off someone elses work? if he wont budge and its correctly rated just remove the fan and refit after its signed off or get himm to mention it in the observations that he refused connection.

Yes you can and no it doesn't
There thats an answer without advise or preference

Now here is my question
How is an electrician disputing signing off an installation, when the installation certificate is generated by that person, who designed, constructed, and inspected the installation, which as a consequence, he then signs as compliant with the regs on that certificate

Last edited:
Toad, on a forum, you get a mixture of fact and opinion.

The facts are that the fan by way of it's IP rating does comply, it's also double insulated and RCD protected so if you want to keep it there, you can.

The opinion is that an inline fan or SELV unit is better but seeing as your fan is fitted and working.....

Thank you IQ Electrical. This is just the kind of response I am looking for. In order to comply with the Regs, either I HAVE to replace the fan, or I DON'T, and at this stage I'm really not interested in opinions about the merits or otherwise of 240V vs 12V, or in-line vs non-in-line, etc. The point is the fan is installed, so either the installation complies, or it does not.

Thanks everyone for your input. I will contact the electrician then let you know what he says!

Yes you can and no it doesn't
There thats an answer without advise or preference

Now here is my question
How is an electrician disputing signing off an installation, when the installation certificate is generated by that person, who designed, constructed, and inspected the installation, which as a consequence, he then signs as compliant with the regs on that certificate

Print the above quote off and ask your electrician to read it. Either he replaces the fan at a cost to him or he signs off the work as it stands.

didnt the elctrician fit the fan? if not whys he signing off someone elses work? .....

No, the electrician didn't fit the fan, nor did he install most of the electrics. The builder installed the fan. However, the two of them work in unison, and the electrician makes the final connections etc after checking out the builder's work at different stages. In effect, the builder works under the supervision of the electrician. Of course, the electrician is taking full responsibility for signing off the work, but that is his own decision based on years of experience gained from the two of them working together.

In rare instances, as in this case, the electrician has to correct or undo something that the builder did wrongly. But in this case it seems the electrician is wrong. I am the householder, and have a good relationship with both of them, so I am in on their discussions. I was the one that chose the fan, the builder fitted it, and the electrician then came along to sign off everything electrical. He pulled the builder for installing the wrong fan, and says he'll be back when it's been replaced.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, the electrician didn't fit the fan, nor did he install most of the electrics. The builder installed the fan. However, the two of them work in unison, and the electrician makes the final connections etc after checking out the builder's work at different stages. In effect, the builder works under the supervision of the electrician. Of course, the electrician is taking full responsibility for signing off the work, but that is his own decision based on years of experience gained from the two of them working together.

In rare instances, as in this case, the electrician has to correct or undo something that the builder did wrongly. I am the householder, and have a good relationship with both of them, so I am in on their discussions. I was the one that chose the fan, the builder fitted it, and the electrician then came along to sign off everything electrical. But the electrician has to revisit since he says, wrongly it seems, that the fan must be replaced. Yes, the additional cost should be bourne by the builder, but only if the builder has made an error in the first place.

:nono:

In rare instances, as in this case, the electrician has to correct or undo something that the builder did wrongly. I am the householder, and have a good relationship with both of them, so I am in on their discussions. I was the one that chose the fan, the builder fitted it, and the electrician then came along to sign off everything electrical. But the electrician has to revisit since he says, wrongly it seems, that the fan must be replaced.

None of that matters. The responsibility lies with the spark who is signing it off.

It would be the same if a customer bought the materials for a job I was on and I used my apprentice or anyone for that matter to install the gear. If it is incorrect, It would be my responsibility to rectify it.

What sometimes happens in situations not a lot different to the one described
A builder takes on a construction job
The householder or the builder says he will do the electrics

End of job, the council then want an Eic, off a part p registered spark, they then get a fool of a spark to come and do an illegal act by signing for an install that he did not construct

Reply to 240V Bathroom extractor fan in zone 1? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net