Discuss 240V Bathroom extractor fan in zone 1? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

ask your electrician this question. " are you going to insist on a 12volt shower, as that's in the same location?"

What sometimes happens in situations not a lot different to the one described
A builder takes on a construction job
The householder or the builder says he will do the electrics

End of job, the council then want an Eic, off a part p registered spark, they then get a fool of a spark to come and do an illegal act by signing for an install that he did not construct

This has parallels to an apprentice working for a qualified professional (see Electromonkey's post). Surely nothing wrong with this kind of supervision, when the professional is in a position to correct things before authorising anything?

Last edited by a moderator:
Where do you live Toad? We'll all hop in a van and take a look for you. Des and Tel can have a word with your spark for you too concerning his questionable working practices.

I would not install a mains fan in zone-1 in my own bathroom, even if it was Ok by the manufacturer,
he is not the one who will be using the shower, its me i need to protect.
If something went wrong with the IP protection and a shock risk was present,
i would not rely solely on an RCD to protect me from 230V.

I would feel much better with a 12V fan, as this system is a fail Safe configuration.

I would not install a mains fan in zone-1 in my own bathroom, even if it was Ok by the manufacturer,

I would feel much better with a 12V fan, as this system is a fail Safe configuration.

Have you got a 12V shower?

On a fan for the IP rating to fail it would be something obvious anyway so you'd be noticing and replacing with or without RCD. Lol
Its all in the regs so makes no worries IMO. Inline fans are better especially if there's no window inthe bathroom.

I`m a bit surprised the manufactorers dont mention zones. Seems like they dont want to commit themselves in case anything turns out to be wrong.
A lot of our accessories are imported. Zones (and their corresponding size rules) are unique to the UK so may not be quoted, the IP rating should always be given as that's an international standard.

it of a late reply, but electricians guide to the building regs page 62 states,
"a suitable 230v extractor fan may be installed in zones 1 and 2 as well as zone 3 and outside the zones. 30mA rcd protection is required in zone 1. if an extractor fan is installed in zone 1 or 2 it must be protected against the ingress of moisture to at least IPX4"

On a fan for the IP rating to fail it would be something obvious anyway so you'd be noticing and replacing with or without RCD. Lol
Its all in the regs so makes no worries IMO. Inline fans are better especially if there's no window inthe bathroom.

Most inline axial fans are terrible, any axial fan that has lengthy ducts of turbulent inducing flexible ducting has been poor when I've tested it with my equipment. Axial fans are poor in all modern builds that are air tight. They slow down under any kind of static resistance. Centrifugal fans are much better for this task esp with curved tips!
trust me axial inline fans (don't) suck.

Reply to 240V Bathroom extractor fan in zone 1? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net