Discuss 240v plug cross faders? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

reeve1987

So basically I have a terrarium setup for a snake.

The Electrical setup for the snake includes day glo and night glo bulbs. To simulate a more realistic environment i wanted to be able to fade these bulbs at set times. idea being the following:

745am sunglo bulb begins to fade on
745am nightglo bulb begins to fade off
8am sunglow bulb reaches full on
8am nightglo bulb reaches full off

745pm sunglo bulb begins to fade off
745pm nightglo bulb begins to fade on
8pm sunglo bulb fully off
8pm nightglo bulb fully on

If this isn't possible then some sort of relay wired for 2 sockets to simply switch them on/off at 8am and 8pm would work.

I could use some help with this as im not really sure how to go about it or if something already exists.

I've worked with simple 5v IC chips that you can program and control such things as relays with but doubt thats really suitable as would need a 5v power supply as well as the 240v supply for the bulbs.

Any ideas ladies and gentlemen?

Okay, so you want to fade the lamps over a 15 minute period. What type of lamps are they? 230v or 12 volt? Filament/fluorescent/LED? How much current are we talking about?

I can't remember the name of the supplier but there is a company who supply a box for this sort of application which can set light levels by set times.

try a search on aviary lighting.

i'll see if I can locate the name as I installed 1 about 18 months ago.

thanks for the links, i shall reserve that as a backup plan but thats quite a prce tag as 2 would be needed.

would it be cheaperto build one?

if you wish to diy, then a couple of second hand dmx controlled dimmers and a raspberry pi or arduino for controlling them...

if you wish to diy, then a couple of second hand dmx controlled dimmers and a raspberry pi or arduino for controlling them...

hmm i couldn't find a dmx dimmer, i have limted experience with dmx controllers despite being a DJ. I can program up a full dmx light show but thats using complete control boards haha.

Reply to 240v plug cross faders? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock