Discuss 240V Socket banged ⚡️ in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Chrislenny

So Today I checked into some pub lodgings in Manchester and plugged my toothbrush charger in the room. As soon as I turned the socket on it made a massive bang and took out the electrics. I was shocked to learn that the receptionist was aware this was a reoccurring fault and I noticed scorch marks on the other sockets from previous victims! It's a 2 pin charger converted to 3 pin. Would anyone know why this would have happened? Please see pictures below.

IMG_0332.JPG

IMG_0334.JPG

IMG_0336.JPG

IMG_0337.JPG

It's a little strange that an arc has occurred both against the socket faceplate and at the 2-pin plug as well, as these are widely spaced apart. From the splash on the socket faceplate, something live has touched the surface, which means either a piece of wire poked in under a plug, a wet plug, something that's not a plug or exposed live rivets on a non-approved adaptor. Have you used the adaptor before? Was it completely dry? Was there a fuse in those internal clips? Was it glass or ceramic?

Please can we see a picture of the pin side of the adaptor! There are lots of non-approved and dangerous adaptors around at the moment.

BTW, if something does bridge from the live pin to the metal fascia of the socket, there will indeed be a loud bang and the supply will trip. This is the nature of a short-circuit at the socket itself rather than downstream of the adaptor fuse, say in the appliance or flex.

It seems you may be victim to a fake fuse, that fuse has failed and blown apart , this should never happen, there was a BBC fake goods on this just this week about fuses bought from pound shop, it is disturbing watching for any of us professionals who realise these cheap copies can potentially lead to fire or death from electrocution.. you need to show the owner of the digs this post, I question where he has purchased said converter or fuses, or is the converter yours?
The socket itself is unlikely to be at issue.

Last edited:
Been a fake fuse, probably tried it a few times until it blew it apart, maybe same or different sockets, clearly a fault on the adapter or the loadside.

Although the OP does mention existing splashes visible on the sockets. I think you're right DW, if the fuse blew apart the arc might have pulled across to the socket fascia around the pin or other hole in the adaptor base, and would have squirted out around the charger plug pins. Jumping to a conclusion here but seems highly likely to be a faulty charger, an unsuitable fuse in a non-compliant adaptor, and the fact that the receptionist mentioned the splats people have made on the sockets, just a coincidence.

Like I mentioned Lucien, if that fuse blew apart then it is fake, cheap copies have no sand in them and cannot always contain the explosion as well as not having fuse rated wire in some of them.. it come down to IMHO who supplied the plug adaptor.

Must have been a high fault current and a hell of a slow fuse.
2-pin Adaptor - Dustbin
Wall Socket - Dustbin, highly likely to have internal damage so replace with new item.
Inductive Charger - Dustbin. You could replace the 2-pin plug and have it tested but probably not financially viable.

I noticed scorch marks on the other sockets from previous victims!

Picture 1 and picture 3 are clearly two different sockets with different patterns of damage.

Picture 1 has an arc flash top right corner, nowhere near the pin holes, how did that get there?

Are these 2 sockets both in the same room?

Nice to see all the screws lined up vertically..

Picture 1 and picture 3 are clearly two different sockets with different patterns of damage.
Yes they are, they are next to each other on the desk. I put this up to show that it looks like this has happened to other people. The fact the receptionist said "our sockets don't like the foreign 2 pin to 3 pins". Yet I've been using this in my home absolutely fine for years

Reply to 240V Socket banged ⚡️ in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net