Discuss 25mm tails maintenance free joint in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

joehat

Do they exist, I have just inspected a job and seen 25mm tails extended under floor boards in standard Henley 25mm tails block, can you get 25mm maintenance free joints? It would this have to be made accessible eg hatch or something Ect? Which I still feel is poor as I've seen them carpeted over all the time.

Crimps. With supplementary insulation over it. And then inside an enclosure as there will be no mechanical protection.

New tails is really a better option.

Do they exist, I have just inspected a job and seen 25mm tails extended under floor boards in standard Henley 25mm tails block, can you get 25mm maintenance free joints? It would this have to be made accessible eg hatch or something Ect? Which I still feel is poor as I've seen them carpeted over all the time.

I'm not sure if you can get them or not but all maintenance free accessories should have a maintenance free logo (MF in a circle) on them.

Crimps. With supplementary insulation over it. And then inside an enclosure as there will be no mechanical protection.

New tails is really a better option.

I agree but after some other sparky extended them , I don't think the customer wants to pay for all the extra as its a 10ish meter run.
And probs a good half a day labor

Do wholesalers stock 25mm crimps ect

Last edited by a moderator:
A carpet hardly makes them inaccessible. As long as you know where the connections are. You've already found them, so note it on the report for the next guy - it could be you in 10 years time.

I've posted about this before, the plumbing regs (WRAS) don't consider things such as ceramic tiles, plasterboard, laminate flooring or basically anything you're likely to encounter in a domestic setting as a barrier to accessibility.

A carpet hardly makes them inaccessible. As long as you know where the connections are. You've already found them, so note it on the report for the next guy - it could be you in 10 years time.

I've posted about this before, the plumbing regs (WRAS) don't consider things such as ceramic tiles, plasterboard, laminate flooring or basically anything you're likely to encounter in a domestic setting as a barrier to accessibility.

With respect that is bxllocks.

What do plumbers know anyway??

What about BS7671?

Really.... so where do you draw the line?
What if there is a bed or chest of drawers on top of the carpet where the connection is? Using your logic that would be ok, just shift them.

Agree with the fellers above - this is just rubbish. Daz

Agree with the fellers above - this is just rubbish. Daz

Actually, I have to partially agree with IzzyS. Accessibility is not defined, so there isn't really any reason to believe that it means there must be a welcome mat over the connection.

If there is a joint box which to access you have to move a wardrobe, lift a carpet, scrape up the underlay and then lift boards then how is that accessible? Daz

"accessible" to me is something that you can see!

Under the carpet and floor boards ...... unless you've got x ray specs on....

Just because accessible is not defined does not mean that concealing connections that are not deemed to be MF is acceptable.
I would not consider under a floor accessible in any circumstances. You have to remove part of the fabric of the building to get to it.

I would not consider under a floor accessible in any circumstances.

That's not really the point though. Can you state definitively that someone who believes that it is accessible (where marked up on as fitted drawings etc.) is wrong, and if so can you provide evidence based upon BS 7671 to justify this view?

That's not really the point though. Can you state definitively that someone who believes that it is accessible (where marked up on as fitted drawings etc.) is wrong, and if so can you provide evidence based upon BS 7671 to justify this view?

We can all manipulate the text "Every connection shall be accessible for inspection, testing and maintenance, except for the following"

Sticking it in concrete inside an armoured box that is welded shut, 200ft under the ground can still be classed as "accessible" then... It's just a matter of time and equipment.....

Probably not.
I believe the reg should be worded "readily accessible" To avoid confusion. The IET's solution is to provide alternatives in the form of MF joints and other methods where confusion exists over an ill defined reg. Crackers !

If a joint is accessible under a floor because you can take it all up later, then by the same logic a joint under plaster is accessible because it can be dug out later, and ceilings can be taken down so that's ok too.

Reply to 25mm tails maintenance free joint in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock