Discuss 25mm tails maintenance free joint in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Depends how you do them. I have always been a bit suspect of indent crimpers. There is too much margin for error when manually setting them and I believe the indent method puts too much stress on the crimp sleeve.

I have complete faith in a crimp made with the correct hexagon die in a decent tool though.

As have tool manufacturers such as Klauke and the companies which purchase and use them,such as BNFL and a dozen similar others...:lol:

how on earth would you know the connection is under the carpet, under the floor boards??

I'd be VERY impressed if you can spot a totally CONCEALED connection is such a location when doing an EICR!

Oh dear, the answer was hypothetical in reply to a question from DPG and based on the assumption that I was aware of the issue, nothing more than that.

I would assume the term accessible within our industry would refer to the common practices done to inspect and test a property, as a whole, ripping carpets up and pulling boards up wouldn't be carried out on such an inspection so any joint that wouldn't be expected to be checked, would in my mind be classed as inaccessible, I would expect any sparky worth his salt to stick his head in the loft and check for joints etc unless its boarded out then they should be MF.

This is my opinion and based on common sense of joints that are unlikely to be checked during a routine inspection report so any chances of obvious issues that could be spotted with a visual but not picked up by testing is reduced with the use of MF joints.

I'm not suggesting hiding JBs is good practice - merely stating that at least the plumbers have some proper guidance on what is considered "accessible" in their industry.

Regarding loft spaces, everyone I look in seems to have 18" of fibreglass insulation covering pipes, cables, downlights & LV transformers. I for one don't remove it all in the search for JBs that may or may not be there.

However, there must be literally millions of round JBs hidden in the UK domestic sector, with only a small percentage causing any problems. The test part of the I&T usually shows up any problems, then the fun begins.

I'm not suggesting hiding JBs is good practice - merely stating that at least the plumbers have some proper guidance on what is considered "accessible" in their industry.

Regarding loft spaces, everyone I look in seems to have 18" of fibreglass insulation covering pipes, cables, downlights & LV transformers. I for one don't remove it all in the search for JBs that may or may not be there.

However, there must be literally millions of round JBs hidden in the UK domestic sector, with only a small percentage causing any problems. The test part of the I&T usually shows up any problems, then the fun begins.

The very reason you need to stick your head up, if you see recessed lights that require clearance and there is non obvious then I would at least check on 1 fitting to gage the general state of the other regarding their circumstances, I never said go through the loft with a fine tooth brush but a general overview looking for any obvious breaches or concerns.
It should always be expressed the depth the inspection will go to with the customer and yes agree, many joints won't be found but that only strengthens my point of view that any connection made that is likely to miss regular inspection should be made maintenance free for those very reasons.

It's not about the thousands that are missed without consequence, its about the few that don't get inspected and do cause damage to life or property.

Reply to 25mm tails maintenance free joint in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock