Discuss 3 Phase Bandsaw. in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
HI,

Just about to post and I noticed a similar thread, anyway here goes. Not worked on motors or controls for some time so after some advice.
A friend of mine has just got his hands on a 3Ph Startrite 352 Bandsaw, yes; you're right only a single Phase supply available.
At the moment it is configured with a ASEA motor
3Ph 50Hz.
0.75KW / 1HP.
380/420 Star. 1.8A
220/240 Delta. 3.1A.
2850rpm.

For speed control it has an Invertek Optidrive.

My question is should I use a 3Ph Inverter with variable speed drive ( similar to Transwave ) and do away with the Optidrive ( was thinking this would not operate correctly within parameters on a single to 3Ph conversion ) or use a Single Phase motor where I would have the problem of speed control.

Secondly would the Converter need to be rated higher than 1HP due to efficiencies etc?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Hi Clive,
frankly it would be ideal to have a higher rated drive but it is not necessary, can't see any reason why it should not work. Depends what material you are want to cut you might need the 'bit of extra'. Ideally the variable speed drive is a better solution, saves you replacing the motor and the problem with the speed control. Saying that, some years ago I used a single to three phase inverter on a pillar drill and it did work OK.

If you decide to swap your inverter for a 1ph-3ph be cautious to the existing control voltage set-up and if it had transformers etc associated with the 3ph i was designed for also ensure the motor is configured for 230 delta and not 415 star if your output of your inverter is 230v...

It sometimes isn't as simple as swap it for a 1 to 3ph.

So, let's say I buy a 5HP 3PH 10 inch Table saw --- (Motor Plate in Image) I am a DYI'er and would not attempt to do a conversion myself -- My thought is to visit a motor repair shop and have them give me the most appropriate method to be able to run the heavy duty saw on a 240 volt Single Phase system in my home wood shop. Then I would have an qualified electrician make the conversion for me with the components recommended by the motor shop owner.

What say the forum members?

Attachments

• 3 Phase Bandsaw. Delta 5 HP Motor Ta - EletriciansForums.net
    Delta 5 HP Motor Tag.jpg
    533.8 KB · Views: 0

Reply to 3 Phase Bandsaw. in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock