1. We've split off Commercial Electrician Talk and Industrial Electrician Talk from the main Electrical Forum. Please take note when you're looking for and posting new threads. :) 

Checkout the new Electricians Directory which you can add your business details to for free.

We've also teamed up with an insurance firm to offer you guys some discounted insurance. These guys will customise your insurance to fit your needs perfectly. Enquire using the following pages: VAN - FLEET - PROFESSIONAL INDEMNITY - OTHER TYPES OF INSURANCE.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Checkout the new British Forums, register for free and enter the competition to win a £25 Amazon Voucher!

Dismiss Notice

Discuss 3 phase distribution in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.co.uk.

1. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Yeah I agree that things become a little more tricky when mixing OCPD types.

60269-1 is the international standard for Low-voltage fuses - General requirements and 60269-2 is the international standard for Low-voltage fuses - Supplementary requirements for fuses for use by unskilled persons.

discrimination.PNG

The OP says the new board is for small power and lighting. Looking through various charts and comparing the total operating I2t of a 32A B type MCB and pre-arching I2t of the 63A fuse he should be good up to a maximum fault current value for which full discrimination is ensured of around 2.4KA. If the Zdb at the new board was lower than 0.10 ohms he might have a problem.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  2. Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. darkwood

darkwood Dreams in which I'm dying are the best I ever had. Staff Member

They are for bs88 fuses hence my original query these standards don't apply to mcb's and rcd's which is what we use commonly... ill try find the discriminating charts for mcbs.

4. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Yeah but the fuses in the head will more than likely be 1361's now BS88 and the fuse in the switch fuse will be BS88 which will provide discrimination if 100A up stream and 63A down stream. A 32A b type 60898/61009 will partially discriminate with the 63A BS88 but full discrimination can be achieved if Zs/Zdb isn't any lower than .10 ohms.