Discuss 3 phase overhead power supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi folks I need some guidence on this. There's a 3phase overhead power supply feeding exterior accommadation at a hotel. What it seems they've done is taken the cable out at the chimney area at either end and then split the phases like you see on an electricity pole (wish I'd taken a pic). The owner wants me to run a new supply accross as the existing cable/wires look very worn to say the least. I was planning on supplying a 5 core 25mm swa and joining it at either side in the attic space and using a catenery wire to support it. The span is at least 40m. To me it's a very long for one span with only support at either end especially with a 25mm 5 core swa. The owner's not for going under ground at all so I'm kinda struggling a bit with this one. Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks

Donny

Walk away, the cable weighs in at 93 kilos, thats going to require mega strong fixings into mega strong walls. Also how do you allow for the cable swinging around? I would tell them underground is the only way.

i agree. underground is the only viable option.

Hi folks I need some guidence on this. There's a 3phase overhead power supply feeding exterior accommadation at a hotel. What it seems they've done is taken the cable out at the chimney area at either end and then split the phases like you see on an electricity pole (wish I'd taken a pic). The owner wants me to run a new supply accross as the existing cable/wires look very worn to say the least. I was planning on supplying a 5 core 25mm swa and joining it at either side in the attic space and using a catenery wire to support it. The span is at least 40m. To me it's a very long for one span with only support at either end especially with a 25mm 5 core swa. The owner's not for going under ground at all so I'm kinda struggling a bit with this one. Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks

Donny

If your running this cable within the attic space, then why can't you cleat this cable in place, using a running board/cable tray or similar. Why on earth are you even thinking of running a catenary support wire in such a space??

think it is. i took his meannig to be that he was joining it in attics at either end of a 40m external run.

I've just re-read it and agree with tel! Nothing stopping him using bare conductors! Lol. I believe it's still acceptable in certain circumstances. Only he knows the job though.

step it up with a transformer to 11KV, use 2.5mm conductors, then step it down at other end.

I’d use 25mm hard drawn copper, double insulated 600/1100V grade. But I’m old fashioned. You need line taps and the insulated caps for them.
A set of chain blocks come in handy as well to tension the conductors.
The art comes in binding the conductors to the insulators.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hence my original post, the equipment is available for hire, but would we forum users know of its existance? I would never use it, I would opt for buried anytime.
Most of what you have posted is for HV systems, and is not normally used for Lv, but never the less could be.

Not in this case he isn't. ....What he is saying is very true, there is an art or a knack to installing overhead wiring systems, be they catenary supported or self supported conductors...

there is no art or knack, its down to installation requirements and calculations.
I was a joiner for years before i decided to re train as an electrician, after qualifiying as a joiner I thought I could do anything until I became an electrician, now I know that I can do most things, but if I am stuck I can asj and get some answers.

Is there not?? Then i bow to your 4 years of Electrical installation knowledge, i've obviously been missing a good few details over the years.... Perhaps you can give the OP some further information about the permitted ''droop'' allowance and the tension calculation to afford those correct levels.

I just love listening to those, where everything is so easy to them!! lol!!!

Your aving a giraffe m8 !!!

Your from China - or so your profile says ?!

You seen the work they do out there ?

Someone dies get another from the paddy fields !!!

And your worried about a little bit of VD

(Thats Volt Drop by the way!!!)

Am i missing something here ?? Where did you read that i'm worried about ''volt drop''??
I may be working in China, but that doesn't mean i'm ''From'' China!!!

And No, ... i'm not having a giraffe as you call it!!!

It is common knowledge that the droop factor is not hard to work out.........it is infact directly proportional to the intake of bishops tipple, more that 3 and your drooping big style.

Having a giraffe surely you mean steffi graff.

Reply to 3 phase overhead power supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock