Discuss 3 Phase supply in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparkyste1

Hi all,
Have been asked to price up job and a little unsure on the following.

Currently the property is 1 big unit with a 100amp per phase, 3 phase supply coming in.
The owner wants to split the unit in to 3 different units, but without having new supplies added.
Can I, install the current 3 phase supply in to a distribution board, come out of a 63amp 3 phase MCB and feed each unit this way?
Units are currently empty, so not sure what load will be use in each individual unit.
If so or if not, any additional help or advice would be really appreciated.

Any questions please ask.

For what you are planning you would need to find out the Maximum loading into each of these 3 units and what sort of supply they need ..

You will need to consider the likely maximum demands of the units and their likely use to determine suitable sized supplies. Also consideration for sub metering sounds like it may be needed?

What about metering?

Sounds fine. The main intake may need to be enclosed in a landlords area to prevent the tenants tinkering. You may also want to install a check meter for each unit so the landlord can split the electricity bills appropriately.

If bonding is required in each unit, you'll need to consider the size of your earthing conductors in your submains or run separate bonding back to the MET.

The existing supply that you mention, is this a metered supply from the DNO?..
if so then the best way forward would to get them involved, change the head to a multi way service head with local separate metering, supplying a TPN isolator and then onto each unit

Got the experience to carry out the installation but wasn't sure about whether a 63amp supply would be deemed as sufficient or even allowed. Sorry rob but the whole idea of a forum is so when we get stuck on something we have help to turn to.
As to every one else, yes I understand we would need t know what load is expected to be pulled. Again sorry but yes we have mentioned about each unit having there own meter.

You may have the experience to install it, to design it questionable.

Your not going to get anyone willing to hold your hand on a forum, just point you in the right direction.

So my advice still stands, get someone hands on that will help.

IMO 100amp cut out (3phase) is no where big enough for 3 units, 400amp maybe 200amp at an push (multi way route), on that note better to have new supplies installed to each unit, may work out cheaper.

going to inspect the job for first time tomorrow, info I have passed to you is all from 2nd hand info I have been given so far.
Know what questions I need to ask now and potentially what answers I need to give so thanks to all for your advice.
Again Rob, I do not want someone to hold my hand, do the work for me or anything else you might want to comment. I was asking for advise. All you seem to want to do is criticise and put people down. So please stop posting, alternatively you maybe better suited for a job with Jeremy Kyle.

Again Rob, I do not want someone to hold my hand, do the work for me or anything else you might want to comment. I was asking for advise. All you seem to want to do is criticise and put people down. So please stop posting, alternatively you maybe better suited for a job with Jeremy Kyle.

A bit harsh there, I think you will find Rob is one of the more helpful posters on here, his advice is sound as by asking the original question it sounds as though you are unsure yourself.

A bit harsh there, I think you will find Rob is one of the more helpful posters on here, his advice is sound as by asking the original question it sounds as though you are unsure yourself.

You may be right but I only asked the question as we all have to start somewhere, I've got installs down to a tee. If going to price a job it would be great to know questions to ask, things to look for etc. of all robs replies, it just seemed like he was implying I shouldn't be quoting this at all. Reverting back to what I've just said, if I don't learn how will I know for future reference.

Reply to 3 Phase supply in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net