Discuss 3 Phase supply in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

You may be right but I only asked the question as we all have to start somewhere, I've got installs down to a tee. If going to price a job it would be great to know questions to ask, things to look for etc. of all robs replies, it just seemed like he was implying I shouldn't be quoting this at all. Reverting back to what I've just said, if I don't learn how will I know for future reference.

Nothing to do with the quoting, anyone can put a price on a job, its the designing of it that needs some thought.

Your mean't to be Qualified and designing is part of your training when doing your Qualifications.

ie use of buildings, demand, wiring systems and so forth. Your asking basic questions imo

Well one way to learn is by shadowing someone who already knows how to do something. :)

To be fair if you are not really sure how to design this properly for it's intended purpose then you could end up right in the s*it, this is why Rob was suggesting you seeking some hands on help.
As he said, installing it will likely be easy enough for you, designing it is something else completely different.

You are right we all have to start somewhere, usually we learned by assisting others who already knew what they were doing,and by learning why things are done certain ways, asking daft questions and the like :), nobody suggested you are a substandard spark in any way shape or form, sometimes it is better to know enough to know that we don't know enough if you catch my drift, there is no disgrace from asking someone to help you out, particularly if you are unsure.

Learning on the job and making mistakes with a 3 phase supply and distribution is not really the best way of learning though, it could seriously backfire and as I say land you in the s*it.

Nothing to do with the quoting, anyone can put a price on a job, its the designing of it that needs some thought.

Your mean't to be Qualified and designing is part of your training when doing your Qualifications.

ie use of buildings, demand, wiring systems and so forth. Your asking basic questions imo

Mot maybe basic but after a long day we can all have blank moments.
I was given info before seeing the job.
i want to install a distribution board, and feed each until from a 3phase Mcb. Each unit will have its own 3phase supply. Ok I forgot to mention the individual meter for each unit.
is this allowed? That was my main question. I then left for people to comment on any other advise I might find helpful. So forgive me if I'm moaning at other people who seem to be putting me down.

Mot maybe basic but after a long day we can all have blank moments.
I was given info before seeing the job.
i want to install a distribution board, and feed each until from a 3phase Mcb. Each unit will have its own 3phase supply. Ok I forgot to mention the individual meter for each unit.
is this allowed? That was my main question. I then left for people to comment on any other advise I might find helpful. So forgive me if I'm moaning at other people who seem to be putting me down.

Go and look at the job make notes and ask what the units are going to be used for etc

Then clear your head and draw up a plan and go from there, don't let customers badger you into committing on something you need to put some thought into because they want a price within hours.

You may be right but I only asked the question as we all have to start somewhere, I've got installs down to a tee. If going to price a job it would be great to know questions to ask, things to look for etc. of all robs replies, it just seemed like he was implying I shouldn't be quoting this at all. Reverting back to what I've just said, if I don't learn how will I know for future reference.
I think the indication is that you may get stung. Going in above your head can bite back badly. Anyone can quote for a job....it's understanding what they're quoting for. No spec for the job so, basically, you're doing it. A bit more thought before the criticism would be a help.

IMO 100amp cut out (3phase) is no where big enough for 3 units, 400amp maybe 200amp at an push (multi way route), on that note better to have new supplies installed to each unit, may work out cheaper.

I have a small unit in an old factory which is split into 30 units.
The incoming DNO fuses for the whole building are 200A.
I have seen inside the head, after one blew following a fire in one of the units melting a sub main.

Dai Varsity is a wonderful player! ;)

IMO 100amp cut out (3phase) is no where big enough for 3 units, 400amp maybe 200amp at an push (multi way route), on that note better to have new supplies installed to each unit, may work out cheaper.

How can you possibly say that without knowing the maximum demand etc of each unit? they could easily be 3 storage warehouses which only need lighting and a roller door

Not read all the posts but apply to the DNO for a Ryefield cut out and then each tenant can apply for their own meter. If I was renting a unit, then I wouldn't want the landlord or other tent ants dictating who I buy my electricity from.

Not read all the posts but apply to the DNO for a Ryefield cut out and then each tenant can apply for their own meter. If I was renting a unit, then I wouldn't want the landlord or other tent ants dictating who I buy my electricity from.

The op has only got an 100amp 3phase supply, the dno will not fit an multi way on that, unless the supply cable is big enough for upgrade.

You'll be screwed on a lot of small industrial estates then! Lots of them have a single supply and sub-metering in each unit.

Reply to 3 Phase supply in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net