Discuss 3 phase in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N6rul

-
Reaction score
Hello guys, please can someone help, I have been asked to install a three phase point in an restaurant for a chip fryer and an oven, they have not yet purchased the equipment. So I cannot calculate the the right breaker for the job, can please someone advise what breaker would be sufficient? Thanks

in a word, No

Most 3ph fryers are 20-32A per phase so i would go on 4mm 4 core, 32a TP mcb and a 32A rotary

but as i said this is all speculation from experience, cant help any more without loadings

The order of events should be like this:
1. Clients gets quote for fryer and oven
2. Client passes specs of said appliances to sparky
3. Sparky quotes to provide supply to specs of appliances
4. If it were me (sparky waits for appliances to arrive)
5. Sparky reads rating plate and destructions
6. Sparky puts in supply to meet demand of appliance
7. Job done

without the info spec of the equipment you are unable to work out the loading and therefore the cable sizing & breaker size - need the specs first

Thats a very important point P&S. Customer told me that he was getting 2 x 3Kw over the door heaters but he got 2 x 6Kw instead. Had to run a new circuit so each heater had their own supply, customer not happy about the quote going up but it was his mistake and relationships went down hill from that moment on.

I would look to commence works once I had spoken to the supplier and confirmed the unit that has been ordered.

As I said mine was just speculation, I've spent a lot of time around commercial kitchens, they are rarely bigger than 20a per phase.

However on a recent night club referb, we installed 6x single phase armoured supplies 2.5mm 3 core, 32a rotarys, 20a / 10ka mcb's. All specced by the aircon company.

4 days before opening the ac units arrive and they are daikin units, double height. I raised my concerns with the site manager that there was no way they were 20A. Turns out they were 37.8A max demand.

The result was chaos as all 6 supplies had to be re run. Expensive mistake on their behalf

Agree with above,best bet is either wait till kit arrives or once its ordered you ring supplier quoting customer order number and get the spec from supplier and go from there,however if going down this road get them to either email or post it then you have something on paper so if it does go wrong you have proof it isn't your fault.Had this last year on a farm machine was told by supplier it was total of 20Kw and when it arrived it was 37Kw luckily as it was their mistake they paid for the cable to be replaced.

Thats a very important point P&S. Customer told me that he was getting 2 x 3Kw over the door heaters but he got 2 x 6Kw instead. Had to run a new circuit so each heater had their own supply, customer not happy about the quote going up but it was his mistake and relationships went down hill from that moment on.

I have been caught out too many times now, even when talking to suppliers as they appear to be almost as ignorant as the client. If i can pursuade the client i wait for it to turn up and they decide exactly where to put it. Preferably bolted down, never to be moved again - then i can happily run mi cable and the world is a nice place.:sunny:

1. Clients gets quote for fryer and oven
2. Client passes specs of said appliances to sparky
3. Sparky quotes to provide supply to specs of appliances
5. Sparky reads rating plate and destructions
6. Sparky puts in supply to meet demand of appliance
7. Job done
Far too much like common sense that mate but where's the fun in that? Quote for job from what you might be able to get from an internet forum after giving nowhere near enough info, install what you hope might be right, hook it all up and hope it works.

Isn't that more the usual way things are done these days?

Far too much like common sense that mate but where's the fun in that? Quote for job from what you might be able to get from an internet forum after giving nowhere near enough info, install what you hope might be right, hook it all up and hope it works.

Isn't that more the usual way things are done these days?

You know i think you are probably right, I keep getting asked to put in supplies to "things" that have not arrived yet. Best one (i'll keep it brief and non commital) was a replacement machine.
Old machine was SP 20A. Was asked just to disconnect / reconnect. When i enquired about the new machine it turned out to be " a bit of an upgrade"
New supply TP&N 32A - uck a duck i thought, agreed would not disconnect until i had time to pull in a new feed.
Have had a but of a run over the last 6 months with these types of things so feeling a bit sensitive.

Good point

Thanks guys. I just thought if someone installing these on a regular basis may be able to advise right breaker. Anyway it appears the cable must be a 5 core cable, 35 amp breaker, with a load of 19.2kw. i got info of the internet for the appliance. Customer is requesting he dies not require an isolation switch in the kitchen is this permissable?

Re: Good point

Thanks guys. I just thought if someone installing these on a regular basis may be able to advise right breaker. Anyway it appears the cable must be a 5 core cable, 35 amp breaker, with a load of 19.2kw. i got info of the internet for the appliance. Customer is requesting he dies not require an isolation switch in the kitchen is this permissable?
An isolation switch must be provided near each piece of equipment, customer may well dies if anything does go wrong and one aint nearby.lol

Come on DS is it any wonder the guy from the pub's doing a roaring trade when the world is full of so called professional sparks who don't even possess the basic powers of telepathy?:wink_smile:

It's the 35amp mcb that got me, I hope the client has up to date fire insurance.

This trade is on it's way out. Some of the stuff I come across done by "electricians" boils my p**s

Re: Good point

haha classic... This has to be a wind-up

Hang on, hang on - Let's not jump the gun here on this one. For all we know, and i read it in the daily mail, the "client" is one of only a handful or rare sorcerers who can move objects with his mind....through the power of............ telekinesis.

Who needs separate isolation when you can simply turn the power off with the force that is the MIND.

You are all so quick to judge i mean jeeeez. Wizards are real you know!!

Reply to 3 phase in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net