Discuss 3 phase in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

keniff

-
Reaction score
What's the norm on a 3 phase Submain in regards to swa and earthing, I'm looking at 25mm swa but not keen on using the armour as earth, (it works out ok size wise) I normally use an extra core for earth on single phase but 5 core swa seems a bit thin on the ground anyone have fors and againsts for usin the armour?

I'm assuming you know how to make off a gland correctly (I mean that in a completely non patronising way). Done right there's no problem :)

Yeah it's quite a long run underground, I know how to gland etc its not that so much it's if it's damaged underground and a bit of water gets in the armour and rots away, I'm just belts and braces I suppose lol what's the best way to terminate the earth if using the armour I normally go for serated washers and bolts I don't think they make pirahna nuts that big!

It'll only be 32mm not exactly big.

what wrong with using the banjo with a brass nut and bolt?

That's the plan handy, but you never know if a stone gets in etc and gets a slight slit in the sheath just go carefull I suppose, softly softly catchy monkey

The use of the SWA is one of the big differences in common practice between domestic and commercial/industrial installs. Using the armour is common practice as earthing conductor although recent installs I have been involved with supplementary has been specified within switch rooms. This provides extra protection on ladder and cable tray.

If you're worried about damage to the cable on installation or backfilling of the trench, why not put a duct in first and just pull it through?

How are you going to damage a cable with back fill if done properly?
Do the job properly, use the armour, gland and earth the end correctly. Can’t be any simpler really.

If you’re worried you can carry out a sheath test. But if it fails you’re shafted anyway.

What's the norm on a 3 phase Submain in regards to swa and earthing, I'm looking at 25mm swa but not keen on using the armour as earth, (it works out ok size wise) I normally use an extra core for earth on single phase but 5 core swa seems a bit thin on the ground anyone have fors and againsts for usin the armour?
look, if the armourings are adequate then whats the need for the spare core?...
and i say spare core as that`s exactly what it would be.....doing nowt....lol...

How are you going to damage a cable with back fill if done properly?
Do the job properly, use the armour, gland and earth the end correctly. Can’t be any simpler really.

If you’re worried you can carry out a sheath test. But if it fails you’re shafted anyway.

I better off not go back and some tests on my garden jobs!

Single phase SWA...........3 core dedicated earth.
3phase/N. SWA.........5 core with dedicated earth( neutral distributed or not).
That's me every time.....bwtfdik:)
Solid 6mm brass bolt and nut earth throughout.

Nothing wrong with either method mate...........properly installed lol

- - - Updated - - -

Reply to 3 phase in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock