Discuss 3 position switch ; ON-OFF-ON in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

MK do a 2-way and off switch module for their MK Logic Plus grid.
Cheers for that suggestion but I believe that's a retractive switch. I'm looking for a 3 position switch that does not reset to centre 'off' position.
Why do you need that arrangement?
I would just like the comfort of knowing that if the photocell went ---- up then I could still switch my lights on.

I thought installing an outside light to an existing circuit not in a special location was non-notifiable?

You are correct that it is not notifiable, but that is irrelevant.

Unless I'm much mistaken, as Wales still uses the 2010 version of Part P (which is much stricter than the 2013 edition used in England when it comes to what constitutes a special location/special installation), adding a light to or modifying a circuit that is outside, would require notification as outdoor lighting and power installations are considered special installations.

Unless I'm much mistaken, as Wales still uses the 2010 version of Part P (which is much stricter than the 2013 edition used in England when it comes to what constitutes a special location/special installation), adding a light to or modifying a circuit that is outside, would require notification as outdoor lighting and power installations are considered special installations.
Yeah fair comment. The Welsh Approved Document P states that outdoor lighting and power installations are special locations, however it also states garages and sheds are not special locations.

Yeah fair comment. The Welsh Approved Document P states that outdoor lighting and power installations are special locations, however it also states garages and sheds are not special locations.

Absolutely, but if you're putting a switch outside... I would say that constitutes work in a special location. It is a tricky subject that appears (like so much relating to the regulations) to be open to some level of interpretation.

I will concede that I have installed new lights outside, without notifying (these were not replacements and so the maintenance caveat did not apply), but that was early on and these days I tend to err on the side of caution.

The 2010 edition of Part P, one of the definitions of a 'Special Location' is outdoor lighting, also gives guidance in Additional notes page 8;

f) Detached garages & sheds are not special locations. Work within them is notifiable only if it involves new out door wiring.

g) Outdoor lighting....are special locations. Any new work in, for example, the garden or that involves crossing the garden is notifiable.

I do recall that a new luminaire attached & fed from main house, was not (i.e. front door light), but can't find reference to that.

The 2010 edition of Part P, one of the definitions of a 'Special Location' is outdoor lighting, also gives guidance in Additional notes page 8;

f) Detached garages & sheds are not special locations. Work within them is notifiable only if it involves new out door wiring.

g) Outdoor lighting....are special locations. Any new work in, for example, the garden or that involves crossing the garden is notifiable.

I do recall that a new luminaire attached & fed from main house, was not (i.e. front door light), but can't find reference to that.
Welsh Part 'P' : Installation of equipment attached to the outside wall i.e security lighting is not notifiable providing there are no exposed outdoor connections and the work does not involve the installation of a new circuit.

Cheers for that suggestion but I believe that's a retractive switch. I'm looking for a 3 position switch that does not reset to centre 'off' position.
As I already stated yesterday it is not retractive although such an option is also available.

Use a 2 gang 2way switch, switch A to act as a main switch feeding switch B common, one side of switch B feeds PIR, other side overrides PIR in parrallel and switches lights directly. You would be able to
1. Switch off everything and inhibit PIR from switching on in low light.
2. Switch on switch A and use switch B at any time to energise the outside lights even if the PIR fails
Could be a cheaper solution using simple components

@Markus, This entire thread makes no sense regarding your proposition for "ON OFF ON" switches (whatever they are).

You presumably have a supply cable with one line conductor, you can switch in one place only. (ie your shed, or if you chose to change where the switch is located, at the house).
You need another communication "channel" (ie a spare cable core, RF switch or PIR) to do both.
PIR will probably be disappointing, walking straight towards a beam from a long way won't work very well.

(You might ask your electrician if the underground cable is 3 core, and thus if it's possible to use the SWA as CPC, freeing up a core. - That possibility depends on several important design issues beyond the scope of this thread. Also, the work to organize that would in any case, soon become more costly than a cheap RF switch.)

Reply to 3 position switch ; ON-OFF-ON in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock