Discuss 3 position switch ; ON-OFF-ON in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

@Markus, This entire thread makes no sense regarding your proposition for "ON OFF ON" switches (whatever they are).

You presumably have a supply cable with one line conductor, you can switch in one place only. (ie your shed, or if you chose to change where the switch is located, at the house).
You need another communication "channel" (ie a spare cable core, RF switch or PIR) to do both.
PIR will probably be disappointing, walking straight towards a beam from a long way won't work very well.

(You might ask your electrician if the underground cable is 3 core, and thus if it's possible to use the SWA as CPC, freeing up a core. - That possibility depends on several important design issues beyond the scope of this thread. Also, the work to organize that would in any case, soon become more costly than a cheap RF switch.)
Makes sense to me mate........it's just a single pole double throw switch but has a third function of being able to open both circuits. Line conductor to common. L1 to outside light / switch live. L2 to photocell switch supply then photcell switched live to L1 of SPDT switch. Switch will provide me lights on conventional way, lights on via photocell or lights off.

Use a 2 gang 2way switch, switch A to act as a main switch feeding switch B common, one side of switch B feeds PIR, other side overrides PIR in parrallel and switches lights directly. You would be able to
1. Switch off everything and inhibit PIR from switching on in low light.
2. Switch on switch A and use switch B at any time to energise the outside lights even if the PIR fails
Could be a cheaper solution using simple components

@Markus, This entire thread makes no sense regarding your proposition for "ON OFF ON" switches (whatever they are).

You presumably have a supply cable with one line conductor, you can switch in one place only. (ie your shed, or if you chose to change where the switch is located, at the house).
You need another communication "channel" (ie a spare cable core, RF switch or PIR) to do both.
PIR will probably be disappointing, walking straight towards a beam from a long way won't work very well.

(You might ask your electrician if the underground cable is 3 core, and thus if it's possible to use the SWA as CPC, freeing up a core. - That possibility depends on several important design issues beyond the scope of this thread. Also, the work to organize that would in any case, soon become more costly than a cheap RF switch.)
It's not a third function, it's just center off.
It's not a third function, it's just center off.
Sorry man....I was led to believe a switch functions by turning a piece of equipment 'ON' and/or 'OFF'.

Reply to 3 position switch ; ON-OFF-ON in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net