Discuss 3ah, 4ah or 5ah? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all.

My friend has asked me if he should buy 3, 4 or 5 Ah makita batteries. All my batteries are 3Ah so I do not feel equipped to answer him as I have no experience of the others.

I am completely happy with the 3Ah ones, however what do you guys think?

Is it better to have the 5Ah as they last longer? Do they actually have a longer or shorter life expectancy? Do they take much longer to charge? Are they really necessary?

Cheers all.

It's pretty simple HHD, 5ah are more expensive, but have a longer run time than 3 & 4. So if your using your cordless tool all day, without access to charging, the higher the AH the better.

I can charge a 5aH and drain it in less than a day easy, I find charging multiple 3Ah batteries and swapping them to be good,
cost wise you can get:

2 3Ah batteries for £83
1 5Ah battery for £70

(Prices from amazon and may change by the time someone from the future is reading this)

As stated previously, it all depends on use. My radio can last at least a week on a 5Ah, but my circular saw drains them a lot faster.

Brushless drills / tools save battery life as there are no carbon brushes causing friction on the motors.

5Ah takes around 50 mins give or take depending on how dead it was.
3Ah takes around 25-30 mins depending on how dead it was.

Can't comment for 4Ah as I don't have any.

Evening all.

My friend has asked me if he should buy 3, 4 or 5 Ah makita batteries. All my batteries are 3Ah so I do not feel equipped to answer him as I have no experience of the others.

I am completely happy with the 3Ah ones, however what do you guys think?

Is it better to have the 5Ah as they last longer? Do they actually have a longer or shorter life expectancy? Do they take much longer to charge? Are they really necessary?

Cheers all.
Why is your friend buying Makita batteries separately anyway? I find that the way to acquire more batteries is to buy an additional Makita tool as a kit, complete with batteries, case and charger.;) OK, I have a few spare chargers, but it's still cost-effective for me.

Well it's on the label , will last longer in layman terms.

Depends on what u want and what jobs u doing , if doing commercial work I found the grinder and circular saw eats battery power so I got 5ah , now I'm doing domestic maintenance and hardly use them at all

Many thanks for the replies.

He has decided upon 2 x 3Ah and 1 x 5Ah. I think this is a good choice, at least you can get some first hand experience of how much longer the 5Ah lasts and how long it takes to charge, and more importantly if you find it more (or perhaps less) beneficial compared to the quick charging 3Ah battery.

Happy New year to everyone :)

Reply to 3ah, 4ah or 5ah? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock