Discuss 3x230 in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Is such a system (230 volt L-L) legal under BS7671 or IEC 60364? Do I need double pole switches for light fittings?
When you say 'system' is the building supply 2 phases as you describe without a neutral or is this just a final circuit.

Either way the answer is yes in most places on the planet (including Derbyshire....wherever it may be), you'd need every point of consumption including light fittings to be supplied by a double pole switch.

I think England is in Derbyshire and Derbyshire is part of the UK, but I might be wrong :).

Last edited:
Since 133V isn't a normal supply voltage, SP loads would all have to be connected L-L and for practical purposes it would be used as a delta supply. Whilst delta power is common for certain applications, e.g. shipboard, it can make things a lot harder. All switching and OCP must be DP, so you can't use 13A plugs for example.

Illegal - no, but not terribly useful for most applications and a general purpose electrical installation fed that way might be considered unfit for purpose.

Since 133V isn't a normal supply voltage, SP loads would all have to be connected L-L and for practical purposes it would be used as a delta supply. Whilst delta power is common for certain applications, e.g. shipboard, it can make things a lot harder. All switching and OCP must be DP, so you can't use 13A plugs for example.

All loads are indeed connected L-L with 2 pole MCBs used on all circuits.

The switching I am unsure about. Would lights still need DP switching?

Illegal - no, but not terribly useful for most applications and a general purpose electrical installation fed that way might be considered unfit for purpose.

Sounds like a lot of draw backs. Is switching on of them?

When you say 'system' is the building supply 2 phases as you describe without a neutral or is this just a final circuit.

Either way the answer is yes in most places on the planet (including Derbyshire....wherever it may be), you'd need every point of consumption including light fittings to be supplied by a double pole switch.

I think England is in Derbyshire and Derbyshire is part of the UK, but I might be wrong :).

Building supply and final circuit. 4 conductors (3 phases and a PE)

What part of the regs require 2 pole switches for lights?

Yes, lights would need DP switching otherwise the lampholder would still be live w.r.t. earth with the switch off.

You pull the plug out! BTW, the very reason that Schuko isn't polarised, is that this method of supply was once used in Germany, and there was no advantage polarising the connector when both sides were lines. But that was phased out (see what I did there?) in favour of ordinary star 230/400.

You pull the plug out! BTW, the very reason that Schuko isn't polarised, is that this method of supply was once used in Germany, and there was no advantage polarising the connector when both sides were lines. But that was phased out (see what I did there?) in favour of ordinary star 230/400.

But if its ok for a table lamp, why would it be different for a light fitting? Unless the socket is designed to denergize the screw shell when removing the bulb?

Double pole switches would be easy, but 2 way switches would be a challenge.

Reply to 3x230 in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net