Discuss 3x230 in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

So as I understand it now, you are designing an installation outside the UK, where UK building regs do not apply, where the supply is not of the type provided by UK DNOs, but you wish to comply as far as possible with BS7671 or use the standard as the design framework. A lot of head scratching could have been avoided if this had been explained in the OP, as this is a forum primarily for UK electricians working to UK regs in the UK.

More along IEC60364, but I am using BS7671 to to verify my thinking.

You substitute Schuko and radials for BS1363 and rings, to avoid the problems mentioned above, and provide DP OCP and isolation throughout. And then we get to 2-way light switching and I am going to hide behind a pile of DP relays!

I am still leaning toward light fittings only needing single pole isolation when dealing with GU10. I do not see any reason to install DP switching unless occupants or users will come in contact with lives parts such as service, testing or modification. In that case a DP MCB will do the job as power must be disconnected before attempting such.

I think Gardner you will need a copy of the NEC standard which was changed in 2014 and comes into force I believe soon, if not already.

I wouldn't worry too much about light circuits and small power, invariaby they will be 127 volt Uo.

The 220/230 in domestic will be mainly be limited to AC units, and will have double pole isolators

Commerical/Industrial will mainly use 3 phase 220v and have the suitable switching.

Last edited:
I think Gardner you will need a copy of the NEC standard which was changed in 2014 and comes into force I believe soon, if not already.

I wouldn't worry too much about light circuits and small power, invariaby they will be 127 volt Uo.

The 220/230 in domestic will be mainly be limited to AC units, and will have double pole isolators

Commerical/Industrial will mainly use 3 phase 220v and have the suitable switching.

I'm puzzled. how does this relate to the scenario outlined by the OP?

what.gif
what.gif

Well now we know where your designing it for.

IEC 60906-1 'N' socket & plug wasn't fully adopted in Brazil and as far as I remember there are quite a few variations still in use around the country. I think you are basically on an hiding to nothing here. It looks like Brazil could be like many countries, they seem to take standards from bits and pieces all over, until they confrim a direction they want to go. Saudi are now adopting the European Standard. 380/220 60hz. It is rare now to have 220/127 anywhere. But 20 yrs ago it was a mish mash of standards.

Last edited:
Well now we know where your designing it for.

IEC 60906-1 'N' socket & plug wasn't fully adopted in Brazil and as far as I remember there are quite a few variations still in use around the country. I think you are basically on an hiding to nothing here. It looks like Brazil could be like many countries, they seem to take standards from bits and pieces all over, until they confrim a direction they want to go. Saudi are now adopting the European Standard. 380/220 60hz. It is rare now to have 220/127 anywhere. But 20 yrs ago it was a mish mash of standards.

Isnt Saudi Arabia still 127/220?

Reply to 3x230 in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net