Discuss 4 submains with one common CPC in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

atm84

-
Reaction score
I have a query. 4 distribution boards, each fed by 25mm2 double insulated tails (approx 30m away) in a roof void. Only 1 16mm2 earthing conductor for all 4 submains. The earthing conductor is then connected at the first board and looped to the other three boards. Is this acceptable? I thought BS 7671 states that each circuit should have its own CPC.

I have a query. 4 distribution boards, each fed by 25mm2 double insulated tails (approx 30m away) in a roof void. Only 1 16mm2 earthing conductor for all 4 submains. The earthing conductor is then connected at the first board and looped to the other three boards. Is this acceptable? I thought BS 7671 states that each circuit should have its own CPC.
Not really a cpc is it? main earthing conductor is my take

As far as I can recall, the Regulations allow for a single CPC for multiple circuits, as long as that CPC is suitable for the combined expected Earth Fault Loads.
The 4 DBs, are they supplied by separate tails from a single point, or are the tails daisy-chained from one board to another?

Do you know where in bs7671 you think it states this?
It would be best to check your copy of the regs rather than going on what you think it says.

As far as I can recall, the Regulations allow for a single CPC for multiple circuits, as long as that CPC is suitable for the combined expected Earth Fault Loads.
The 4 DBs, are they supplied by separate tails from a single point, or are the tails daisy-chained from one board to another?

The 4 DBs are supplied by separate tails. So there are live and neutral for each DB (8 tails in the loft in total) and 1 CPC/ earthing conductor.

Do you know where in bs7671 you think it states this?
It would be best to check your copy of the regs rather than going on what you think it says.

Yes I found the reg number today. I don't have a copy to hand but will forward the reg number when back in the office. What are your thoughts to the OP. What would you say If you came across the situation and were asked to add additional circuits from the DBs in question.

Yes I found the reg number today. I don't have a copy to hand but will forward the reg number when back in the office. What are your thoughts to the OP. What would you say If you came across the situation and were asked to add additional circuits from the DBs in question.

Of you have already found the regulation which allows this then why do you need to ask?

I wouldn't say anything at all as long as the cpc is correct for the most onerous possible fault.

Of you have already found the regulation which allows this then why do you need to ask?

I wouldn't say anything at all as long as the cpc is correct for the most onerous possible fault.

Even though I found a reg that states each circuit should have its own CPC, something tells me it's not right. I'm asking for other ppls opinion. Like has already been mentioned, it's also an earthing conductor as well as a CPC.

Davesparks rather than trying to find fault with my post and being unhelpful why don't you say what your opinion is and put your neck out there instead of hiding behind screen. What is your opinion? What would you do if you keep across the situation. I've said what I think but like I said I'm not confident and am asking for other people's opinion.

Was just trying to establish if this is actually a cpc or main earthing conductor we're talking about. But as you've said above if it satisfies most onerous condition it doesn't matter. If it's suitably sized etc.

Cheers

Even though I found a reg that states each circuit should have its own CPC, something tells me it's not right. I'm asking for other ppls opinion. Like has already been mentioned, it's also an earthing conductor as well as a CPC.

Which regulation number is it? I've never heard of it and it directly opposes the regulation which allows this situation.

Such a regulation would render any steel conduit or trunking installation non-compliant

Was just trying to establish if this is actually a cpc or main earthing conductor we're talking about. But as you've said above if it satisfies most onerous condition it doesn't matter. If it's suitably sized etc.

Cheers

When I initially saw it I thought the same in the fact that as long as it's sized to take the most onerous fault current then it's acceptable till I came across the reg that states each circuit should have its own CPC then I became unsure.

Davesparks rather than trying to find fault with my post and being unhelpful why don't you say what your opinion is and put your neck out there instead of hiding behind screen. What is your opinion? What would you do if you keep across the situation. I've said what I think but like I said I'm not confident and am asking for other people's opinion.

I have already told you what I would do. That is that I would do nothing if the cpc is suitable for the most onerous fault condition as this would be compliant.

When I initially saw it I thought the same in the fact that as long as it's sized to take the most onerous fault current then it's acceptable till I came across the reg that states each circuit should have its own CPC then I became unsure.

Until you can quote the number of this regulation then we can't really help you to understand where or how you may have misinterpreted it.

Which regulation number is it? I've never heard of it and it directly opposes the regulation which allows this situation.

Such a regulation would render any steel conduit or trunking installation non-compliant

Like I said I will forward tomorrow when I'm back in the office. That's exactly what I thought when I saw it but when conduit/ trunking is used the CPC is effectively always run with the circuit conductor as they are enclosed in the conduit/ trunking.

Reply to 4 submains with one common CPC in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock